From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA's Mosaic Television Reports African Story of Forgiveness

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 4 Jun 2007 15:25:24 -0500

Title: ELCA's Mosaic Television Reports African Story of Forgiveness ELCA NEWS SERVICE

June 4, 2007

ELCA's Mosaic Television Reports African Story of Forgiveness 07-093-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The June 1, 2007, issue of Mosaic Television, the video magazine of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), is "Ready to Forgive: An African Story of Grace." The program is focused on the plight of the Acholi people of northern Uganda and their readiness to forgive, despite violence and abductions of their children by rebels.

Mosaic Television is the quarterly video program produced by ELCA Communication Services. It is intended for educational use in a variety of congregational settings including Sunday school classes, adult forums, youth groups, women's and men's groups, new member classes, congregational councils, committee and other organizational meetings.

People in northern Uganda have been affected by war for 21 years. The conflict is between a rebel government known as the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) and Ugandan defense forces. Those most affected, a tribal people known as the Acholi or "Luo" people, have endured violence and child abductions by the LRA. Thousands have died, many are missing and two million people are displaced, the program reported. Most live in "squalid" camps for internally displaced persons. Yet forgiveness is an important part of the Acholi culture and reconciliation is a cornerstone of their faith, the program said.

For example, the Rev. Baker Ochola, bishop emeritus, Diocese of Kitgum, Anglican Church of Uganda, said his wife was murdered by LRA rebels. In the program he spoke of forgiveness.

"When somebody commits crimes, the (Acholi) people always, always forgive," he said. "But forgiveness is conditional in our culture. If you accept responsibility, you own your action, (and) the Luo people forgive you, instantly. If somebody says, 'I am sorry. It is me who has done it,' the victim community has no choice. They have no option except to forgive."

Ochola said the Acholi people forgive because they combine Christian teachings with six principles: truth, mercy, justice, peace, restoration and transformation.

Adule Joyce, Ogili sub-county camp leader, Kitgum, said she began to hate the rebels after she lost her uncle. "I can forgive on the grounds that I want the children who will come after me . to live in peace," she said.

"Ready to Forgive" was produced on location in Uganda by Tim Frakes, Tim Frakes Productions, Glen Ellyn, Ill. Frakes was formerly with ELCA Communication Services. The Rev. Barbara Berry-Bailey, associate producer for "Grace Matters," ELCA Communication Services, narrated the program. "Grace Matters" is the radio ministry of the ELCA.

Through the National Council of Churches USA and a grant from Faith and Values Media, the program is to be extended to a one-hour documentary for broadcast on NBC-TV affiliates beginning Dec. 2.

---

Specific information about Mosaic Television is at http://www.ELCA.org/mosaic/ on the ELCA Web site.

Editors: Digital photographs that accompany "Ready to Forgive" can be requested by e-mail at mosaic@ELCA.org or by phone 1-800- 638-3522, ext. 6009.

For information contact: