From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Weeks Ahead / Catalyst: The Oxford Guide to the Book of Common Prayer

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 6 Jun 2007 10:14:51 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Wednesday, June 6, 2007.

* Today in Scripture:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1998, Jack Croneberger was elected bishop coadjutor of the Episcopal Diocese of Newark on the fourth ballot to succeed Bishop John Spong.

_____________________

WEEKS AHEAD

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Events

6/6/2007

>> FORT WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania: Beer, Burgers and Bible

6/8/2007

>> LEWISBURG, Pennsylvania: Diocese of Central Pennsylvania to meet in convention >> SPECULATOR, New York: Diocese of Albany to meet in convention >> HENDERSONVILLE, North Carolina: Province IV 16th Annual HIV/AIDS Healing Retreat

6/9/2007

>> WASHINGTON, D.C.: Bread for the World Summit - Sowing Seeds: Growing a Movement

6/10/2007

>> HENDERSONVILLE, North Carolina: Making Disciples: Healing the World

6/11/2007

>> PARSIPPANY, New Jersey: Executive Council to meet

6/16/2007 >> WASHINGTON, D.C.: Rock Creek Festival

6/17/2007

>> WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cathedral celebrates the state of Florida

6/20/2007

>> MONTEAGLE, Tennessee: Annual Global Episcopal Mission Network gathering

6/21/2007

>> SEATTLE, Washington: North American Association for the Diaconate to meet >> FORT THOMPSON, South Dakota: Annual Niobrara Convocation

6/22/2007

>> SEATTLE, Washington: Renovate: Episcopal Campus Ministry Conference 2007

6/23/2007

>> WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia: Legacies and Promise conference

6/25/2007

>> WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia: National Network of Episcopal Clergy Association conference

Music 6/7/2007 >> NEW YORK CITY: Music at Holy Trinity

6/9/2007

>> GALVESTON, Texas: Expressions of Praise - A Gospel Revue

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "The Oxford Guide to the Book of Common Prayer" from Oxford University Press, edited by Charles Hefling and Cynthia Shattuck, 614 pages, hardcover, c. 2006, $40 [Source: Oxford University Press] The Book of Common Prayer runs like a golden thread through the history of the Church of England and the worldwide Anglican Communion. The Oxford Guide to the Book of Common Prayer is the first comprehensive guide to the history and usage of the original Book of Common Prayer and its numerous descendants throughout the world. It shows how a seminal text for Christian worship and devotion has inspired a varied family of religious resources that have had an influence far beyond their use in the churches of a single tradition. The Guide is unique. In it experts from every part of the globe and every branch of Anglicanism, as well as from the Lutheran, Roman Catholic, Methodist, and Unitarian traditions, provide an unparalleled examination of The Book of Common Prayer and its lineage.

From 1549 to the 21st Century, The Oxford Guide to the Book of Common

Prayer offers a fascinating journey through the history and development of a classic of world literature. Much more than simply a history, this volume describes how Anglican churches at all points of the compass have developed their own Prayer Books and adapted the time-honored Anglican liturgies to their diverse local cultures. In the dozens of editions now in use throughout the world, the same texts -- Daily Prayers, the Eucharist, Marriage and Funerals, and many others -- resemble each other, and yet differ from each other in interesting ways. A brief look at "electronic Prayer Books" offers a glimpse at how this story of development and adaptation may continue in the Information Age.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org.