From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Charles Robertson named Canon to Presiding Bishop / Executive Council to meet June 1

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:33:14 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink June 6, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Charles Robertson named Canon to Presiding Bishop * TOP STORY - Executive Council to meet in Parsippany June 11-14 * TOP STORY - Peace in Israel/Palestine reaffirmed as Church marks 40th anniversary of 1967 war * TOP STORY - June 10 bulletin insert features Episcopal Asiamerica ministries * DIOCESAN DIGEST - VERMONT: Coinciding memorial service planned for Northern Michigan Bishop James Kelsey * WORLD REPORT - MELANESIA: Church steps up plans for own University * SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - Second Sunday after Pentecost (Proper 5) - Year C [RCL]

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Charles Robertson named Canon to Presiding Bishop

By Bob Williams

[Episcopal News Service] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori has named to the position of Canon to the Presiding Bishop the Rev. Canon Charles K. Robertson Ph.D., canon to the ordinary in the Diocese of Arizona since 2004.

"Chuck Robertson brings theological and communication expertise and specific understanding of the Anglican Communion owing to his graduate work in England," Jefferts Schori said in announcing the appointment on June 6.

"He has experience in small churches, larger congregations, and inter-diocesan cooperative initiatives, and a particular understanding of the church in both the Southeast and Southwestern regions of the United States," she said.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86642_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Executive Council to meet in Parsippany June 11-14 Agenda to include international concerns, partnerships

By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] When the Executive Council of the Episcopal Church convenes June 11-14 in Parsippany, New Jersey, its members will spend time reflecting on the past, present and future shape of the Church and of the Anglican Communion, as well as considering issues of ministry and governance.

The Church's governing body between General Conventions will, as part of its agenda, look to the past to hear a report about the effort to gather information about how the Episcopal Church may have benefited from slavery.

The Council will look to the present and the future as it discusses how the Church might reach out to Episcopalians in a small number of dioceses and parishes where the leadership is disaffected with the wider Church.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86613_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Peace in Israel/Palestine reaffirmed as Church marks 40th anniversary of 1967 war

[Episcopal News Service] This week marks the 40th anniversary of the 1967 war between Israel and the Arab States, after which the Israeli occupation of the West Bank (which includes East Jerusalem), Gaza, and the Golan Heights began.

Throughout the last 40 years, the Episcopal Church has joined many others in calling for an end the occupation and the ensuing conflict which has brought pain and suffering to all who live in the region.

Bishop Christopher Epting, Ecumenical and Interfaith deputy for the Episcopal Church, highlighted a statement from the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Chief Rabbis of Israel made last year, which noted: "The Holy Land and its people, Jewish, Christian and Muslim, continue to suffer all forms of violence and its consequences. Terrorism remains rife. Governments and political and religious movements deny the very right to existence of the State of Israel. There is no agreement on the rights of the Palestinian people and the means to mutual wellbeing and flourishing."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86641_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

June 10 bulletin insert features Episcopal Asiamerica ministries

Episcopal Asiamerica Ministry (EAM) is the focus of the June 10 bulletin inserts, available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_8852_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

VERMONT: Coinciding memorial service planned for Northern Michigan Bishop James Kelsey http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_86600_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

MELANESIA: Church steps up plans for own University http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86604_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

SPIRITUAL REFLECTION

Second Sunday after Pentecost (Proper 5) - Year C [RCL] 1 Kings 17:17-24; Psalm 146 or 30; Galatians 2:15-21; Luke 7:11-17

By Susanna Metz

[Episcopal Life] What wonderful images we have in today's passages. We have prophets, raisings from the dead, a never-ending supply of food, onlookers being both amazed and terrified. It's the Easter story over and over - amazing and terrifying for the people of that day.

We, of course, can still be amazed, but we're not terrified any more. We know the Gospel passage probably by heart and we most likely know this wonderful passage about Elijah and the widow in Zarephath by heart, too. Stories of long ago, stories about an ancient people, stories from a time when miracles seem to have been taken more in stride than they are today - we might be tempted to think these stories don't have much to do with us. We certainly aren't able to raise the dead or provide through God's intervention a never-ending supply of grain and oil. So, we can be amazed and praise God, but we don't necessarily have to be motivated. Or do we?

We're kidding ourselves if we say that these are just inspirational stories. Jesus constantly reminded his followers that they were called to live as he lived. Actually, their Torah called them to live that way.

Full reflection: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_86487_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual reflections: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm