From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Edward Leonard III Named President of ELCA's Bethany College

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:50:04 -0500

Title: Edward Leonard III Named President of ELCA's Bethany College ELCA NEWS SERVICE

June 7, 2007

Edward Leonard III Named President of ELCA's Bethany College 07--100--LL*/MC*

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Edward F. Leonard III was introduced May 31 as the 13th president of Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kan. The college's board of directors elected him in May. Leonard is currently vice president for college advancement at Wilmington College, Wilmington, Ohio. Bethany College is one of 28 colleges and universities of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

Later this summer Leonard will succeed Dr. Robert Vogel, who has served as interim president since January. A presidential search committee interviewed candidates and selected finalists before reporting its recommendations to the board, according to a college news release.

"It's a great honor for me to introduce Ed Leonard as Bethany's new president," said Tad Doering, Bethany College board president. "He has a unique combination of gifts well-suited for Bethany, including his knowledge and experience in fundraising; his background as a student, adjunct professor and administrator at several small colleges; his Lutheran heritage; his experience in the business world; and his enthusiasm and energy. We are very excited about Ed's leadership and what he has to offer Bethany,"

"In the true Lutheran sense, I've been called to Bethany," Leonard said. "I am grateful for this calling, and I'm looking forward to living it out with the help of God and those around me."

Leonard earned a bachelor's degree in philosophy from William Jewell College, Liberty, Mo., a master's degree in business administration degree from St. Louis University, St. Louis, and a doctorate in educational administration from the University of Missouri-Kansas City, Kansas City, Mo.

Leonard had been at Wilmington College since August 1998. His accomplishments there have included directing the largest fundraising campaign in the college's history, doubling annual giving, expanding the number of donors by 71 percent and securing the largest gift in the college's history, $3.5 million, to build a Quaker Heritage Center, the news release said.

He previously held several positions at Georgia College and State University in Milledgeville, Ga., University of Missouri- Kansas City and William Jewell College. He has taught marketing, management, accounting, business and leadership classes and these and other colleges.

Leonard has been the Cincinnati-area field representative for the Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges since 1999 and has been on the executive committee of the Independent College Advancement Association since 1998. The association awarded him the Ernest A. Sheets Mentor Award in 2004.

Leonard and his wife, Sheila, have one young son, Quade.

---

Information about Bethany College is at http://www.bethanylb.edu/ on the Web.

* Michele Clark, former director of college communications for Bethany College, provided information. * Lauren A. Lamb is a senior public relations and speech communication major at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. This summer she is an intern with the ELCA News Service.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog