From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Climate change, global poverty linked, Presiding Bishop tells Senate committee / Pre

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 7 Jun 2007 18:21:52 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink June 7, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Climate change, global poverty linked, Presiding Bishop tells Senate committee * TOP STORY - Presiding Bishop to appear on Bill Moyers Journal * TOP STORY - Good preaching begins in good seminary homiletics programs, study suggests * WORLD REPORT - CANADA: Groundbreaking service for Iqaluit's 'igloo church' draws hundreds * WORLD REPORT - INDIAN OCEAN: Daraina hostel gives rural girls hope, dreams, opportunities * FEATURE - Recycling redux: This year's Earth Keepers Clean Sweep collected outdated medicines

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Climate change, global poverty linked, Presiding Bishop tells Senate committee Jefferts Schori calls for immediate action on urgent concerns

By Neva Rae Fox

[Episcopal News Service] Calling global warming "one of the great human and spiritual challenges of our time," Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori addressed the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee June 7 during a hearing titled "An Examination of the Views of Religious Organizations Regarding Global Warming."

Representing the National Council of Churches USA (NCC) and the Episcopal Church, Jefferts Schori said, "As one who has been formed both through a deep faith and as a scientist I believe science has revealed to us without equivocation that climate change and global warming are real, and caused in significant part by human activities."

Jefferts Schori was the first of seven faith leaders to testify at the hearing. The first four urged action on global warming.

The full text of the Presiding Bishop's testimony is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78703_86656_ENG_HTM.htm.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86667_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Presiding Bishop to appear on Bill Moyers Journal

Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori will talk with Bill Moyers on Bill Moyers Journal this week.

S Airdate: Friday, June 8, at 9 p.m. Check local listings at http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/about/airdates.html

- - - - -

Good preaching begins in good seminary homiletics programs, study suggests

By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] A study released June 6 finds that Episcopal Church seminarians receive uneven preparation for their lives as preachers.

The study, "Looking Again at Teaching Homiletics," was produced by William Hethcock, an emeritus professor of homiletics at the University of the South's School of Theology in Sewanee, Tennessee. It was commissioned by the Episcopal Preaching Foundation and released during its annual six-day Preaching Excellence Program (PEP).

In an article Hethcock wrote on the study he made of seminaries, seminarians and congregational search committees, he calls for an update and revision of the teaching of homiletics in Episcopal seminaries.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86652_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

CANADA: Groundbreaking service for Iqaluit's 'igloo church' draws hundreds http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86669_ENG_HTM.htm

INDIAN OCEAN: Daraina hostel gives rural girls hope, dreams, opportunities http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86657_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

FEATURES

Recycling redux

This year's Earth Keepers Clean Sweep collected outdated medicines

By Karen Bota

[Episcopal Life] Theologian Thomas Berry writes that humans must go beyond simply appreciating the earth if they want to save it. The mission of the faithful, the "great work" according to Berry, is to reconcile the rift between Western science and religion and to devise a new understanding of what it means to be human on this planet.

That mission is the idea behind Earth Keepers, a three-year old environmental interfaith coalition in Michigan's rural Upper Peninsula. Earth Keepers formed when nine religious leaders representing 130,000 believers -- Episcopal, Evangelical Lutheran, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, United Methodist, Unitarian Universalist, Baha'i, Reform Jewish and Zen Buddhist -- agreed to be part of a spiritual shield with others working to protect the earth, air and water in the Great Lakes basin.

"Part of the religious sensibility is to reclaim the interconnectedness of life. We are doing our work by engaging in our environment," said the Rev. Jon Magnuson, Earth Keepers co-founder, director of the Cedar Tree Institute in Marquette and a Lutheran campus pastor at Northern Michigan University. "It's the way our symbols of faith -- the power of the symbols of our faith -- can be reintegrated and engaged around values of harmony, balance, compassion and justice."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81834_86654_ENG_HTM.htm

More Features: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78936_ENG_HTM.htm