From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Multimedia: Gambia Bishop S. Tilewa Johnson / Catalyst: Conversations with Scripture

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:15:52 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Friday, June 8, 2007.

* Today in Scripture:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1536, following Henry VIII's Declaration of Supremacy, English clergy drew up the Ten Articles of Religion, the first articles of the Anglican Church since its break from Roman Catholicism.

MULTIMEDIA

Gambia Bishop S. Tilewa Johnson

[Episcopal News Service] Bishop S. Tilewa Johnson of Gambia is dean of the Church of the Province of West Africa, which was founded in 1951 and divided to form the Province of Nigeria and the Province of West Africa in 1979. Speaking with Episcopal News Service, Johnson offers an overview of the Church in West Africa and some of the challenges it faces, especially with communications.

A video stream of Johnson's interview is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "Conversations with Scripture: The Parables" from Morehouse Publishing, by William Brosend, 129 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $12.95

[Source: Morehouse Publishing] From the very beginning, human beings have loved to listen to stories. And Jesus loved to tell them. The parables are vivid, rich, arresting stories that make us think and teach us lessons about our relationship with God and others. From talents to mustard seeds, from shepherds to Samaritans, Jesus used common reference points to teach important truths.

But the parables are filled with ambiguity and room for interpretation. With historical and cultural background, and careful scholarly detail, this book helps readers explore their beauty, richness, and joy.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org