From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Bishops Stephen Jecko, Frederick Putnam die on same day / Wholeness, humility ought

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:59:18 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink June 8, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Bishops Stephen Jecko, Frederick Putnam die on same day * TOP STORY - Wholeness, humility ought to mark Anglican/Episcopal preaching, Troeger says * WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: TIME magazine features Archbishop of Canterbury in cover story, interview * WORLD REPORT - EUROPE: Tutu tells G8 leaders in Germany, 'We can survive only together' * WORLD REPORT - SCOTLAND: Primus becomes co-patron of Inclusive Church * WORLD REPORT - SOUTHERN AFRICA: 'Listen to children's voices,' Archbishop tells AIDS conference * OPINION - Advocating for the persecuted: Amnesty's interfaith network provides us a chance to keep our promises * ARTS - Volunteers stitch with love needlepoint kneelers and cushions

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Bishops Stephen Jecko, Frederick Putnam die on same day

By Joe Bjordal and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Bishop Stephen Hays Jecko, 67, and Bishop Frederick Warren Putnam, 89, both died on June 7.

Jecko was the retired bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Florida and had been serving the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas as an assisting bishop.

Funeral arrangements for Jecko are pending in Dallas, Texas, where he was acting as assisting bishop of the diocese.

Putnam was the retired Bishop Suffragan of Oklahoma and the retired Bishop of Navajoland Area Mission. Putnam, who was ordained in the Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota, had been an assisting bishop to both Robert Anderson and James Jelinek, the seventh and eighth bishops of Minnesota.

A memorial service for Putnam, who died ten days before his 90th birthday, is set for 11 a.m. June 12 at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Edina, Minnesota.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86700_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Wholeness, humility ought to mark Anglican/Episcopal preaching, Troeger says

By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] The keynote preacher for the Episcopal Preaching Foundation's annual Preaching Excellence Program (PEP) -- meeting June 3-8 at Villanova University in Villanova, Pennsylvania -- told conference participants that they ought to develop a way of preaching that ends the division between religion and spirituality.

Thomas Troeger, the J. Edward and Ruth Cox Lantz professor of Christian Communication at Yale Divinity School, told the group of just-graduated Episcopal seminarians and rising seniors that the world is filled with religious violence and spiritual hunger. Preachers must help mend the break between religion and spirituality, he said. To do so, Troeger said, preachers cannot have only methods for preaching or a theology of preaching; they must have both.

He outlined an Anglican/Episcopal understanding of scripture and the role of the preacher to help mend the break, using two poems from The Temple, written by George Herbert who became an Anglican priest at age 40 in 1630 and spent the remaining three years of his life as rector of a parish.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86691_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

ENGLAND: TIME magazine features Archbishop of Canterbury in cover story, interview http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86682_ENG_HTM.htm

EUROPE: Tutu tells G8 leaders in Germany, 'We can survive only together' http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86686_ENG_HTM.htm

SCOTLAND: Primus becomes co-patron of Inclusive Church http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86687_ENG_HTM.htm

SOUTHERN AFRICA: 'Listen to children's voices,' Archbishop tells AIDS conference http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86701_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

OPINION

Advocating for the persecuted

Amnesty's interfaith network provides us a chance to keep our promises

By Eric Johnson

[Episcopal Life] Every year when I join my congregation in renewing our baptismal covenant, I'm reminded of Carl Niehaus, South Africa's ambassador to the Netherlands.

Ambassador Niehaus shared his story with me when I was the air attaché at the American Embassy in The Hague, and his story made clear for me the real implication of our baptismal vows.

In June 1980, when he was a 21-year-old theology student, Carl Niehaus -- a white man -- was thrown out of Rand Afrikaans University for putting up posters on the campus calling for equal non-racial education and the release of Nelson Mandela from prison.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_86695_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

ARTS

Volunteers stitch with love needlepoint kneelers and cushions

By Episcopal Life staff

[Episcopal Life] Published in 1890, the first newsletter of the Episcopal Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields in Philadelphia's Chestnut Hill neighborhood devoted several paragraphs to thanking parishioners for needlepoint items they had created and donated to the church, which had held its inaugural service the previous year. The altar linens, stoles and pulpit hangings, designed to complement the church's Victorian-style interior, clearly demonstrated the love and devotion of its parishioners.

This tradition of "praying with hands" is still alive at St. Martin's.

The rebirth of the church's Needlepoint Project began in March 2000 with modest expectations when Daphne Raasch, Helen "Toysie" Walker and Charlotte Hood approached the rector, the Rev. Robert Tate, with a proposal. Their vision was to bring parishioners together during renovations to stitch needlepoint kneelers for the newly constructed Communion rail.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_86693_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm