From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Cuban Episcopalians welcome new bishops suffragan

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 01:22:50 -0400

Episcopal Life Online June 11, 2007

Cuban Episcopalians welcome new bishops suffragan

Nerva Cot, Ulises Aguero ordained to episcopate; Cot is region's first woman bishop

By Jan Nunley

[Episcopal News Service] "Asi lo haremos--We will!" thundered the standing-room-only congregation at Havana's Episcopal Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, when asked if they would accept as Cuba's first bishops suffragan the Rev. Canon Nerva Cot Aguilera and Archdeacon Ulises Mario Aguero Prendes.

Cot -- the first woman Anglican bishop in Latin America -- and Aguero were consecrated in a nearly three-hour service Sunday, June 10 that blended Anglican dignity and Cuban spontaneity. Anglican and Episcopal bishops from Europe and North, Central and South America joined representatives from a number of Cuban faith traditions, including Greek Orthodox and Afro-Cuban clergy, along with the head of the Religious Affairs Office for the Communist Party of Cuba, Caridad Diego, who told the BBC her government was proud that the country had a woman bishop. Since 1992, Article 8 of the Cuban Constitution has stated that the country's communist government "recognizes, respects and guarantees freedom of religion."

"It was very important day for the church in Cuba," said Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori, who participated in the rites. "The presence of so many members of other parts of Communion was a gift."

Also present were bishops from Brazil, Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, and Spain, among other countries.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86792_ENG_HTM.htm

An image gallery accompanying this article is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81991_86751_ENG_HTM.htm