From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Executive Council meets at, tours renovated Church Center / June 17 bulletin insert

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:18:33 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink June 12, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Executive Council meets at, tours renovated Church Center * TOP STORY - June 17 bulletin insert features the Union of Black Episcopalians * DIOCESAN DIGEST - ALBANY: Bishop vows to retain conservative stance * DIOCESAN DIGEST - CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA: Diocese challenged to do more with less * DIOCESAN DIGEST - NEWARK: Deputation tells Executive Council about diocese's diversity * WORLD REPORT - AFRICA: Darfur crisis sparked off over water, conference told * FEATURE - Church's go-to gumshoes: For Minnesota company, snooping around is a ministry

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Executive Council meets at, tours renovated Church Center Members learn of Church's work within and beyond '815'

By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Church's Executive Council got a formal opportunity June 12 to see the newly renovated Church Center in New York City and meet the staff members who help carry out the Church's mission and ministry.

On the second day of its four-day meeting, Council members boarded buses for an 85-minute trip across the Hudson River from their meeting location in Parsippany, New Jersey, to spend the day at the building at 815 Second Avenue.

The Church Center houses program and other staff offices, a bookstore and cafe, a chapel, a residence for the Presiding Bishop and related Episcopal agencies. The chapel, bookstore and residence were included in the renovations. The store recently reopened as the Catalyst Café and Books for Global Good with a changed inventory and featuring café food and beverages as well as wireless internet connectivity.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86829_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Episcopal Life This Week: Bulletin Insert for June 17, 2007

The Union of Black Episcopalians (UBE) stands in the continuing tradition of more than 200 years of Black leadership in the Episcopal Church. Learn about UBE in the Episcopal Life This Week bulletin inserts.

Bulletin inserts are available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_8852_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

ALBANY: Bishop vows to retain conservative stance http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_86805_ENG_HTM.htm

CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA: Diocese challenged to do more with less http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_86795_ENG_HTM.htm

NEWARK: Deputation tells Executive Council about diocese's diversity http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_86796_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

AFRICA: Darfur crisis sparked off over water, conference told http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86803_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

FEATURES

Church's go-to gumshoes

For Minnesota company, snooping around is a ministry

By Daniel Burke

[Religion News Service] For the folks at Oxford Document Management Company, it's not snooping. It's a divine mission, and 99 of the Episcopal Church?s dioceses take advantage of it.

With a full-time staff of three, the Anoka, Minnesota-based background-investigation firm has beat out bigger rivals to become the go-to gumshoes for religious groups across the United States. All but a handful of Oxford's 1,000-odd clients are churches or denominational bodies. Glen Johnson, who founded the company 16 years ago, says those are the only clients he seeks.

"I wanted to help them out because I'm a Christian person and I saw the need for this," says Johnson, 48.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81834_86801_ENG_HTM.htm