From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRC NEWS: Synod Removes 'Male' as Requirement for Office

From "Henry Hess" <hessh@crcna.ca>
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:24:25 -0400

June 13, 2007, Grand Rapids, Mich. - Synod 2007 made a historic decision last night, voting to remove the word "male" as a requirement for holding ecclesiastical office in the Christian Reformed Church.

This opens the way for any CRC congregation to ordain women as ministers, elders, deacons or ministry associates.

Today, synod will take up two remaining proposals that include opening the way for women to serve as delegates to synod.

The decision last night also reflected synod's desire to maintain unity in the church by respecting the convictions of those who believe the Bible prohibits women serving as office bearers. It allows classes to set restrictions on women serving as delegates to classis meetings.

"There will be many of us who continue to believe that biblical requirements involve gender and it is impossible for us to surrender that," said Rev. Joel Nederhood of Classis Illiana.

But, he added, "The issue is the unity of the church of Jesus Christ. I think that [allowing classes to restrict who may come to classis] goes far in enabling us to work in classes and the local church together."

Rev. George Vander Weit of Classis Grand Rapids East called it a "tremendous moment."

"I've worked and prayed for this moment for years," Vander Weit said. "I think [this proposal] gives us space."

"Let's model the inclusion of men and women at Synod. Let's have the classes look at us and say, 'That's the kind of unity we want.'"

Rev. George Vink, chair of the committee that addressed the issue, said he chose a compromise position because "unity is like a choir. We can sing the same song, but we sing in parts....Classes have the right to protect each other's convictions. It's important for synod to give classes that space."

The decision last night, which passed by a vote of 112 to 70, confirmed the decision made at Synod 2006 to remove the word "male" from Church Order Article 3-a. Changes to the Church Order require the agreement of two synods.

Since 1995, congregations and classes had been allowed to ordain women as office bearers under a system of local option. Currently 26 of the 47 classes have exercised that option.

In another decision yesterday, synod opened the way for office bearers from churches that are just getting started to have a vote at classis meetings. Pastors and elders of church plants (churches that have not officially organized) have been allowed to speak at classis meetings but have not been voting delegates.

"This is an issue of respect and incorporation," said Rev. Matthew Ford of Classis Greater Los Angeles, a former church planter. "It goes a long way toward morale, unity, and participation."

"[Not being able to vote] has been a hindrance in our area," said Rev. Bobby Boyd of Classis Red Mesa. "...We are part of the church and we want to help them in their work."

Contact: Henry Hess, Synod News Officer, 616-526-8654 (mailto:hessh@crcna.ca <mailto:hessh@crcna.ca> )

www.crcna.org <http://www.crcna.org/