From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Executive Council set to discuss communiqué, Anglican covenant responses

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:26:42 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink June 13, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Executive Council set to discuss communiqué, Anglican covenant responses * DIOCESAN DIGEST - WEST TENNESSEE: Germantown churches build Habitat for Humanity home * WORLD REPORT - AUSTRALIA: Former Primate Peter Carnley receives highest honor in Queen's Birthday list * WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Church calls on Sony to withdraw game set in cathedral * SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - Third Sunday After Pentecost (Proper 6) - Year C [RCL]

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Executive Council set to discuss communiqué, Anglican covenant responses Proposed statement, summary of draft covenant response lead June 14 agenda

By Nan Cobbey and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] A task group of the Episcopal Church's Executive Council will propose June 14 that Council tell the Anglican Communion that no governing body other than General Convention can interpret Convention resolutions or agree to deny "future decisions by dioceses or General Convention."

A draft of the statement, titled "The Episcopal Church's Commitment to Common Life in Anglican Communion," says it "strongly affirm[s] this Church's desire to be in the fullest possible relationship with our Anglican sisters and brothers."

The draft would have the Council decline to participate in a so-called Pastoral Scheme proposed by the Primates of the Anglican Communion for dealing with some disaffected Episcopal Church dioceses. In March the House of Bishops said the plan "would be injurious to The Episcopal Church" and urged the Council to decline to participate.

The draft of the statement was released to Council members and staff the afternoon of June 13 at the Council's meeting in Parsippany, New Jersey. The draft, and three proposed accompanying resolutions, will be discussed by the entire Council June 14.

The statement was written by the EC008 Task Group, which was called for by the Council (via Resolution EC008) during its March 2-4 meeting in Portland, Oregon.

Also on June 14, Council will hear the report of a sub-committee of its International Concerns Committee (INC) summarizing comments solicited by a study guide aimed at helping the Episcopal Church respond to the draft version of a proposed Anglican Covenant.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_86872_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

WEST TENNESSEE: Germantown churches build Habitat for Humanity home http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_86809_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

AUSTRALIA: Former Primate Peter Carnley receives highest honor in Queen's Birthday list http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86804_ENG_HTM.htm

ENGLAND: Church calls on Sony to withdraw game set in cathedral http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_86807_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

Third Sunday After Pentecost (Proper 6) - Year C [RCL] 2 Samuel 11:26-12:10, 13-15; Psalms 5:1-8 or 32; Galatians 2:15-21; Luke 7:36-8:3

By Barry Turner

[Episcopal Life] Shadows can be both fun and frightening. Do you remember when you were a child, marveling at your shadow, especially in the late afternoon when shadows are long? Or making shadow pictures by holding your hands certain ways? Then there is the other side of shadows. Like the uncertainty of who is approaching you in the shadow either at night or back-lit by the sun. Children can imagine many things about shadows cast on their bedroom walls in the middle of the night.

Today's readings are about coming to terms with the frightening side of shadows. We hear of three people who did just that: David, Paul, and the unnamed woman in the Gospel. They were genuine sinners who overcame the shadows of their past to know the bright sunlight of God's forgiveness. The connecting thread between these three people we've heard about is their authenticity.

What makes Paul real is his consistency to a life of faith in the love of God in Christ Jesus. Paul said, "For me to live is Christ." Life was not in the law, or the system of rituals it required.

Full reflection: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_86487_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual reflections: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm