From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] People / Catalyst: The Desert Mothers

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:20:20 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Thursday, June 14, 2007. The Church remembers Basil the Great, Bishop of Caesarea (c.329-379).

* Today in Scripture:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1837, William Chatterton Dix, Anglican hymnist, was born in Bristol, England.

PEOPLE

Jayne Oasin to lead anti-racism training in August http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_86876_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "The Desert Mothers: Spiritual Practices from the Women of the Wilderness" from Morehouse Publishing, by Mary C. Earle, 89 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $13.95

[Source: Morehouse Publishing] In the same format as Holy Companions and the forthcoming Praying with the Anglican Saints books, this book includes summaries of the thoughts and spiritual approaches of the Desert Mothers, along with spiritual practices based on their writings. Scholars have paid attention to the Desert Mothers, but in general lay audiences have only had access to writings by the Desert Fathers. Unlike most of the scholarly books on the market, this book popularizes the writings and the thinking of the Desert Mothers of the early church, and applies them to contemporary life.

"Mary Earle introduces us to these remarkable fourth-century women, and invites us to join them on their journey. Weaving together scholarship, story-telling, and shrewd insight, The Desert Mothers can lead us to see our daily lives as 'the very habitat of God,' and show us 'ways of becoming new.'" -Deborah Smith Douglas, spiritual director and retreat leader, author of The Praying Life: Seeking God in All Things

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org.