From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AACC] Day of the African Child Marked by All Africa Conference of Churches

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:57:34 -0700

Greetings brethren,

Below is a statement from the AACC headquarters in Nairobi on the Day of the African Child. Part of the activities to mark this day is a workshop to be held tommorrow Friday June 15, 2007. The keynote speaker is Lady Justice Martha Koome a Kenyan judge and proponent of children's rights. God Bless You All Brenda Otindo, Communications Officer AACC

DAY OF THE AFRICAN CHILD

STATEMENT FROM THE ALL AFRICA CONFERENCE OF CHURCHES

June 14, 2007

The Day of The African Child is marked annually on June 16 to recognize the place of the child in our society.

For the second year running the Advocacy theme for AACC has been ''The Church Awakens: "New hope for the African Child'. AACC has disseminated the AU Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child. We hope that you found it useful.

In commemoration of The Day of the African Child, we are holding a workshop on Friday June 15, 2007. This will focus on the place of the African Child in addition to the role that the Church plays in this. We have invited AACC member churches, our partners, NGOs working with children in addition to other institutions working with children. Africa faces a number of challenges that are natural like diseases, floods, drought and famine; and those that are manmade like wars and strife, female genital mutilation and substance abuse.

These affect the child directly and have resulted in the emergence of child soldiers, child trafficking, orphans from HIV and Aids and other killer diseases on the continent like malaria. The children also suffer homelessness, loneliness and trauma.

Historically, the Church has been at the forefront in advocating for the welfare of the child. It has done this by providing healthcare services, quality education and even representation of the African Child in global forums. In many parts of our continent where there has been civil strife, the Church continues to be the safe haven for the African Child. It must be noted that the Church supports the family institution. It is from a stable and well-developed family that we are likely to get well-brought up children.

The Churches in Africa must renew their advocacy for the welfare of the African Child and even call for greater enforcement of the AU Charter on the Child. This in addition to the need for the Church to ca