From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRC NEWS: Synod Hears Greetings from Fraternal Delegates

From "Henry Hess" <hessh@crcna.ca>
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:48:48 -0400

June 14, 2007, Grand Rapids, Mich. - In his first official act as president of the Reformed Church in America, Rev. John Ornee warmly greeted the Christian Reformed Church synod yesterday. "We are family-born out of pain to be sure, but... after the pain of childbirth comes the joy of living, of living out our faith together," he said.

The CRC and RCA share full ecumenical fellowship, including the exchange of pastors. "We are finding ever-increasing ways to partner together in a broken world," said Ornee. "As we move so easily and so freely into each other's worlds, I believe that God is wonderfully and greatly pleased."

Rev. Evert Overeem greeted synod from the Protestant Church in the Netherlands (PCN). "What's the best way to congratulate the CRC in North America on its anniversary?" Overeem asked. "Perhaps to tell you a story of three words that I've picked up here and keep remembering: opportunity, privilege, challenge.

"The opportunity to be here at synod; the privilege of serving the kingdom; and the challenges you have to take on your shoulders sometimes. These are beautiful and inspiring words, and every time I hear them here I take them back to the Netherlands."

Said Overeem, "Ecumenicity is about people, about God's people visiting all over the place, sharing and discovering and seeing new perspectives."

Rev. Istifanus Bahago brought greetings from the Christian Reformed Church of Nigeria. Bahago, president of the CRCN, expressed deep gratitude for the North American church's ministry efforts in Nigeria. The CRCN now serves 345,000 members and regular attendees.

"The mother-child relationship has now grown into a partnership," Bahago told delegates. "As leaders, you should know that thousands of souls are now in heaven, from every part of the world, because of your good deeds."

"This is only your first 150 years," said Dr. Kobus J. J. Gerber, bringing greetings to synod from the Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa.

"Many issues on our table are also on yours, including third wave Pentecostalism," noted Gerber. "Perhaps we can help each other through these issues, rather than recreating the same wheel on different continents.

Gerber asked delegates to pray for Christians in South Africa. "We dream of making Africa a signal of the coming of the kingdom... we pray that southern Africa will set the example for the body of Christ," he said.

Dr. Richard van Houten, general secretary of the Reformed Ecumenical Council, brought greetings and an update to synod from the REC. "Like a good worker, it seems we may retire in the next few years," he said. "It is likely that the REC and the World Alliance of Reformed Churches will be joining together to form a new body."

Van Houten praised the CRC's involvement in the REC over its 60 years. "Many of our leaders in ecumenical processes have come from the CRC, and we are grateful. Whether in worship, racial reconciliation, reflections on church and state, leadership development, HIV/AIDS ministries or youth ministries... in all of these areas, CRC people have stepped forward," van Houten said.

Contact: Henry Hess, Synod News Officer, 616-526-8654 (mailto:hessh@crcna.ca <mailto:hessh@crcna.ca> )

www.crcna.org <http://www.crcna.org/