From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Mark MacDonald affirmed as bishop for Navajoland Area Mission

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:47:42 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink June 18, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Mark MacDonald affirmed as bishop for Navajoland Area Mission * DIOCESAN DIGEST - SOUTH CAROLINA: Lawrence again heads episcopal ballot * WORLD REPORT - IRELAND: Lord Eames to receive prestigious Order of Merit * WORLD REPORT - NIGERIA: Beware of fraudsters, Anglican Church warns * FEATURE - An otherworldly place: Pilgrimage to isle of forebears brings peace and a sense of the saints

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Mark MacDonald affirmed as bishop for Navajoland Area Mission

By Dick Snyder

[Episcopal News Service] Delegates to the 31st annual convocation of the Navajoland Area Mission affirmed Mark MacDonald in his role as Bishop of Navajoland.

It was MacDonald's first convocation as Bishop of Navajoland. He has served as bishop of the Diocese of Alaska since 1997, and his duties there will cease at the end of July. On June 22, he assumes his new role as bishop of all indigenous persons in Canada -- while also serving in Navajoland.

MacDonald's affirmation came as delegates stood to show support for him to serve as bishop in both Navajoland and Canada.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_87011_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

SOUTH CAROLINA: Lawrence again heads episcopal ballot http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_86974_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

IRELAND: Lord Eames to receive prestigious Order of Merit http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86985_ENG_HTM.htm

NIGERIA: Beware of fraudsters, Anglican Church warns http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_86993_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

FEATURES

An otherworldly place

Pilgrimage to isle of forebears brings peace and a sense of the saints

By Linda Radtke

[Episcopal News Service] There are truly sacred places on the earth. We can feel them, sense them. Some are private; some carry the accumulated weight of history. We can walk the ways of pilgrims through the ages and feel that sense of the community of saints of which we, too, are a part.

Such a place, for me, is Bardsey Island, two miles off the coast of North Wales. The Welsh call it Ynys Enlli, the Island in the Tide. It is wind-swept, two humps of gorse-covered green in a turbulent sea off Braich Y Pwll on the LLyn penninsula, a place of pilgrimage since medieval times, when three pilgrimages to Bardsey counted the same as a trip to Rome.

A stone marker on the old pilgrimage path exhorts us to "respect the remains of 20,000 saints buried near this spot." In this moorland lie holy people whose names are known by God alone, barefoot pilgrims who braved the dangerous tides to die here.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81834_86966_ENG_HTM.htm