From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Weeks Ahead / Catalyst: Not on Our Watch

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:40:52 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Wednesday, June 20, 2007.

* Today in Scripture:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1989, Newark Bishop John Shelby Spong inaugurated a new diocesan ministry, called Oasis, which focuses on the needs of gay and lesbian people.

_____________________

WEEKS AHEAD

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Events

6/20/2007

>> MONTEAGLE, Tennessee: Annual Global Episcopal Mission Network gathering >> PAWTUCKET, Rhode Island: Conflict in the Holy Land - Program II

6/21/2007

>> FORT THOMPSON, South Dakota: Annual Niobrara Convocation >> SEATTLE, Washington: North American Association for the Diaconate to meet

6/22/2007

>> SEATTLE, Washington: Renovate: Episcopal Campus Ministry Conference 2007

6/23/2007

>> WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia: Legacies and Promise conference

6/24/2007

>> WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cathedral celebrates the District of Columbia >> JACKSON, Wyoming: Evenings of reflections

6/25/2007

>> WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia: National Network of Episcopal Clergy Association conference

6/28/2007

>> LOS ANGELES, California: Episcopal Asiamerica Ministries national consultation

6/30/2007

>> WILMINGTON, Delaware: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

7/2/2007

>> HOUSTON, Texas: Union of Black Episcopalians annual meeting and conference

7/3/2007

>> HOUSTON, Texas: Episcopal Night with the Astros

7/11/2007

>> OMAHA, Nebraska: Anti-racism training in Province VI

7/19/2007 >> COLUMBUS, Ohio: Global Mission Event 2007

Music

6/24/2007 >> LIBERTY, Texas: Jazz Mass

6/29/2007

>> SAN FRANCISCO, California: Mystic Chords and Deep Immersions

7/5/2007

>> NEW YORK CITY: Virtual pipes, genuine passion of Cameron Carpenter

7/7/2007 >> NEW YORK CITY: Free summer folk concerts

7/8/2007

>> NEW BRUNSWICK, New Jersey: British a cappella group at Christ Church

7/9/2007

>> SEWANEE and MONTEAGLE, Tennessee: Annual Church Music Conference at Sewanee

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "Not on Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond" from Hyperion Books, by Don Cheadle and John Prendergast, Foreword by Ellie Wiesel, 252 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $14.95

[Source: Hyperion Books] While Don Cheadle was filming Hotel Rwanda, a new crisis had already erupted in Darfur, in nearby Sudan. In September 2004, then-Secretary of State Colin Powell termed the atrocities being committed there "genocide" -- and yet two years later things have only gotten worse. 3.5 million Sudanese are going hungry, 2.5 million have been displaced by violence, and at least 400,000 have died in Darfur to date.

Both shocked and energized by this ongoing tragedy, Cheadle teamed up with leading activist John Prendergast to focus the world's attention. Not on Our Watch, their empowering book, offers six strategies readers themselves can implement: Raise Awareness, Raise Funds, Write a Letter, Call for Divestment, Start an Organization, and Lobby the Government. Each of these small actions can make a huge difference in the fate of a nation, and a people -- not only in Darfur, but in other crisis zones such as Somalia, Congo, and northern Uganda.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org