From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UCC] One week before Synod speech, Obama addresses UCC's Iowa Conference

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:51:27 -0700

One week before Synod speech, Obama addresses UCC's Iowa Conference

Written by J. Bennett Guess June 18, 2007

One week before he will give a keynote address before an estimated 10,000 General Synod attendees in Hartford, Conn., U.S. Sen. Barack Obama spoke to the UCC's Iowa Conference annual meeting on June 16 in Fort Dodge, Iowa.

''My faith teaches me that I can sit in church and pray all I want, but I won't be fulfilling God's will unless I go out and do the Lord's work,'' Obama told Iowa UCC members, according to a story in Fort Dodge's Messenger newspaper.

Obama, a member of Trinity UCC in Chicago, will speak at 2:30 p.m. (ET) on Saturday, June 23, at the Hartford (Conn.) Civic Center. He will be introduced by his pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright. Obama's Synod speech can be watched live at <http://www.ucc.org/news/>http<http://www.ucc.org/news/>://www.ucc.org, as part of the UCC's gavel-to-gavel webstreaming of General Synod.