From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AJC] Excerpts from the AJC Weekly Update: June 13, 2007

From "Ari Gordon" <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:35:23 -0400

Excerpts from the AJC Weekly Update: June 13, 2007

Advancing Jewish Relations with Latino/a Catholics

AJC and the Catholic Theological Union's Cardinal Joseph Bernardin Center in Chicago co-hosted a seminar for Latino Catholics currently engaged in ministry and theological studies. Rabbi David Rosen, AJC's international director of interreligious affairs, and Rabbi Gary Greenebaum, AJC's U.S. director of interreligious affairs, were lead speakers at the event, aimed at broadening mutual understanding of Catholic-Jewish relations, and enhancing contemporary Latino-Jewish relations.

VIDEOCAST: Interreligous Relations

Rabbi David Rosen, AJC's international director of interreligious affairs, discusses Jewish-Catholic and Muslim-Jewish relations, and explores AJC's unique role in bringing people of faith together in part one of a two-part interview. This is part of a series of excerpted video interviews with AJC staff experts conducted by Suzanne Lasky-Gerard of Jewish Family Television, with the assistance of Felice Traktman of AJC's Miami Chapter. VIEW INTERVIEW@ www.ajc.org/site/c.ijITI2PHKoG/b.2798045/k.F219/Film_Rabbi_David_Rosen_Part_ 1.htm?tr=y&auid=2765688

Immigration Bill Stall Disappointing

AJC expressed disappointment with the Senate's failure to move comprehensive immigration reform legislation forward. "Stalling the legislation only prolongs the national crisis we face in failing to deal humanely with the 12 million undocumented immigrants in our country," said Jeffrey Sinensky, AJC's director of domestic policy. READ NEWS RELEASE@ www.ajc.org/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=ijITI2PHKoG&b=1531911&ct=3948725&tr y&auid=2765690

New at ajcwire: Viable Electric Cars

"Electric cars are a viable option to help diminish our dependence on oil from hostile nations and reduce poisonous emissions polluting the atmosphere," writes Kenneth Bandler, AJC's communications director. "The challenge is to secure a real commitment by the federal government and major auto companies to manufacture and service quality, affordable, practical electric cars." READ BLOG@ http://ajcblog.org/2007/06/07/viable-electric-cars/

Advocacy for Energy Independence - TAKE ACTION NOW

In a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, AJC urged the U.S. Senate to raise fuel efficiency standards for passenger cars, diminishing dependence on oil. "It is our firm belief that a sharp reduction of energy dependence is essential to our national security, as well as the economic and social well being of our country, our environmental health and the continuance of our broad role in world affairs," said the AJC letter. Visit AJC's Advocacy Center to urge your Senators to support the inclusion of stringent and mandatory CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency) standards in the Renewable Fuels, Consumer Protection and Energy Efficiency Act of 2007. TAKE ACTION NOW@ www.ajc.org/c.ijITI2PHKoG/b.1122051/k.8A96/Action_Center/siteapps/advocacy/A ctionItem.aspx?c=ijITI2PHKoG&b=1122051&aid=8812&tr=y&auid=2765684

Darfur Divestment in Washington, DC

Melanie Maron, director of AJC's Washington Chapter, testified before the DC City Council's Committee on Finance and Revenue in support of a bill that would enable divestment from Sudan. AJC supports a targeted approach to divestment that "will affect companies supporting the Sudan government, while protecting those sectors vital to the well-being of Darfuri civilians," Maron said.

ACCESS in Los Angeles, New York

David Harris addressed more than 100 young professionals at an event sponsored by the ACCESS Los Angeles program. Harris said he was impressed by the commitment and vibrancy of the participants. He spoke about the important role AJC plays everyday to advocate on behalf of Israel and the Jewish people while also supporting ideals of human rights, freedom and democracy for all peoples. In New York, ACCESS presented an "Israel Refresher" series for young professionals (in cooperation with Taglit-birthright Israel Alumni Association) addressing contemporary Arab-Israeli politics, global perceptions of Israel and engagement in pro-Israel diplomacy.

Write on For Israel

David Harris was the keynote speaker at the graduation ceremony for Write On For Israel, a New York Jewish Week initiative supported by the Avi Chai Foundation. The two-year program prepares promising high school juniors and seniors in the New York region to become effective pro-Israel advocates on university campuses. Alumni of the program are now on many leading campuses and assuming leadership roles in pro-Israel activities.

Columbia University President Condemns British Boycott

AJC applauded Columbia University President Lee Bollinger for condemning the British academic boycott of Israel and urging British academics to "add Columbia to its boycott list, for we do not intend to draw distinctions between our mission and that of the universities you are seeking to punish." AJC has called on all university and college presidents to dub their schools "Israeli academic institutions" in protest of the proposed boycott. READ NEWS RELEASE@ www.ajc.org/site/c.ijITI2PHKoG/b.851561/apps/nl/content2.asp?content_id={AAF 4B754-5589-4AD9-AC92-EC34E31FA316}&notoc=1&tr=y&auid=2765687

Shimon Peres Elected President of Israel

AJC sent a letter of congratulations to Shimon Peres after he won election as President of Israel. "Your distinguished career as a leader and statesman, and the courage, commitment, and wisdom that have propelled you to the highest rank of public service, will be of immense value to Israel - and to all who love and support it - at this historic time," wrote AJC President Richard Sideman and Executive Director David A. Harris. "We are confident that, inspired by your leadership, Israel will meet challenges with strength and forthrightness - protecting its people, pursuing peace whenever possible, addressing the nation's social and economic needs, and making laudable contributions to human knowledge and creativity." AJC's relationship with Peres has been close and longstanding. He addressed the AJC Annual Dinner in 2001.

New York Chapter Presidents Honored

Barry J. Alperin, president of AJC's New York Chapter, and past president Kenneth Brown, were honored with the Stanley M. Isaacs Leadership Award. Daniel Doctoroff, deputy mayor for Economic Development of New York, was the keynote speaker. He commended AJC for its forward-looking energy policy, particularly its green building initiative, and welcomed AJC as a partner in the City's effort to reduce carbon emissions.

Ari M. Gordon Assistant Director Department of Interreligious Affairs American Jewish Committee 165 E56th St. New York, NY 10022 (212) 891-6768 (212) 751-4000 x266 www.ajc.org www.engagingamerica.org