From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[WARC] Reformed seminaries worldwide to share their expertise

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:39:17 -0700

World Alliance of Reformed Churches News Release 22 June 2007

Reformed seminaries worldwide to share their expertise

A groundbreaking meeting of the heads of Reformed seminaries around the world will lead to greater cooperation among the schools and enrichment of theological education, says a report issued on 22 June, the final day of the gathering.

The first-ever Consultation of Reformed Theological Institutions, sponsored by the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) and hosted by Princeton Theological Seminary, has been taking place from 18 June with leaders of 50 schools from every continent taking part.

"We have started to build friendships and we want to extend the sharing of our expertise, perspectives and experience. We seek to expand our engagement in student exchange, faculty exchange, visiting scholars, research collaboration and sharing bibliographical materials, all of which enrich theological education," the report states.

The seminary heads agreed to explore a second consultation, two or three years from now, as well as regional gatherings.

WARC general secretary Setri Nyomi expressed his gratitude to Princeton Theological Seminary for hosting the consultation, adding that it has been a very important meeting that will have a positive impact on the worldwide Reformed family.

"To have this level of commitment to relevant theological formation that takes into account global challenges today, gives me hope. The networking initiatives that come out of the consultation will strengthen theological education and contribute to the formation of effective and prophetic leaders for our churches," Nyomi said.

The leaders of the theological schools raised a number of critical questions for their institutions and the Reformed family as a whole around identity, mission, ecclesiology, doxology and curriculum.

They looked at what it means to be Reformed and ecumenical in a rapidly changing world, asking: "How does being Reformed involve adherence to particular historical beliefs as well as a way of living in the world, a way of being Christian?"

They agreed that as a covenant community, the Reformed family is called to share in the mission of God and asked, "How do we promote missionary activity and evangelism that is respectful of local context and allows for the possibility of our own transformation, both personally and institutionally?"

While celebrating the diversity in the Reformed family, the seminary leaders wondered about the fragmentation in denominations and how to relate to other Christian movements, including Pentecostal and charismatic groups.

The seminary heads are committed to continue to educate future ministers to lead creative and compelling worship while recognizing that there are many contrasting forms that raise questions about the future of distinctively Reformed styles of worship.

They dealt with many curriculum issues that have direct implications on their seminary study programmes and asked, "How do we move towards deeper integration of traditional biblical and theological disciplines with other fields of knowledge (especially the social sciences), formational requirements and indigenous realities (both concerns and methodologies)?"

The leaders concluded that differences on some issues would not halt their coming closer together. "We are resolved that through working together, listening to one another and speaking out of different contexts, issues which are divisive elsewhere in the Christian family may for us become places of mutual understanding and strength."

***

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) brings together 75 million Reformed Christians in 214 churches in 107 countries - united in their commitment to making a difference in a troubled world. The WARC general secretary is Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana. WARC's secretariat is based in Geneva, Switzerland.

Contact: John P. Asling Executive Secretary, Communications World Alliance of Reformed Churches 150 Route de Ferney P.O. Box 2100 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland tel. +41.22 791 6243 fax: +41.22 791 6505 web: www.warc.ch