From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UCC] Roman Catholic bishop opens Saturday worship at UCC Synod 50 in Hartford

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2007 01:13:59 -0700

Catholic bishop opens Saturday worship at Synod Written by Joanne Griffith Domingue June 23, 2007

The the Most Rev. Peter Rosazza, Roman Catholic Auxiliary Bishop in Hartford, drew frequent applause during his homily during Saturday's opening worship at General Synod 26.

"As church persons we have every right to address the moral content of political issues in the public square," he told Synod attendees.

Rosazza, 72, known throughout Connecticut for his stands for justice, referred to Connecticut Conference Minister Rev. Davida Foy Crabtree as "our conference minister? You [UCC members] continue to inspire so many of us. You are living examples of Christ's own thirst for justice that moves you to serve others, especially the poor, the immigrant, the homeless."

Rosazza told of three UCC city churches he believes are living examples of such justice.

First Congregational Church UCC in Columbus, Ohio, was an abolitionist church, he learned from its minister, the Rev. Tim Ahrens. "In this spirit, First Church continues to serve the poor through many ministries such as the distribution of food and clothing as well as advocating for civil rights," Rosazza said.

In Pennsylvania, at Old First Church Reformed of Philadelphia, members moved back into the city in an area covered with empty warehouses. "Members were inspired to find Jesus through service of the poor and their ability in faith to see him in breadlines," Rosazza said. Today the warehouses are condos and the church sponsors a shelter for 30 homeless men. "One has to think that the presence of the church was an attraction to those who rehabbed these buildings and to the people who chose to move into them," Rosazza said.

In New Haven, Conn., at Church of the Redeemer, members voted to join ECCO, Elm City Congregations Organized. Rosazza, who lives in New Haven, was a founder of this community organization of 18 churches. Ten days ago Church of the Redeemer joined other churches to protest raids by immigration agents who broke into homes and "whisked 32 people away to detention centers? sending shockwaves of fear throughout the city."

These three churches are just a few examples of UCC "justice ministry to urban areas that goes beyond charity," Rosazza said.

"We attempt, with the love of God poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, to serve rather than be served," Rosazza said. "I congratulate you for your focus on the urban context? We say with Saint Paul, 'I can do all things with Christ who strengthens me.'"

The Rev. Lois Sundeen, a retired UCC minister, said Rosazza was great. She was struck by the way he "really understood the UCC and the Connecticut Conference, of our history of outreach to the poor and our ecumenical involvement."

The Rev. Karen Bailey-Francois, a social worker in Hartford, said Bishop Rosazza is a "big presence" in Hartford and a pretty big presence in the state. "He has a wonderful heart for justice."