From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Journalist Nir Rosen brings message for World Refugee Day / Multimedia: Church's 400

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:46:04 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink June 25, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Journalist Nir Rosen brings message for World Refugee Day * TOP STORY - UPDATED: Church's 400-year heritage is fabric 'woven together with prayer' * MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: Marking the Church's 400-year heritage on Jamestown Island * MULTIMEDIA - Video: Presiding Bishop preaches for 400th anniversary celebration at Jamestown * WORLD REPORT - CANADA: Synod commits to pastoral care of same-gender couples, rejects membership of Primates on ACC * FEATURE - In martyrs' footsteps: El Salvador sites a reminder of humanity's worst -- and best

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Journalist Nir Rosen brings message for World Refugee Day Iraqi displacement becoming worst refugee 'humanitarian crisis,' Rosen says

By Julia Fleming

[Episcopal News Service] In honor of World Refugee Day, internationally acclaimed journalist and author Nir Rosen addressed colleagues at the Episcopal Church Center in New York City on June 21 about the mounting refugee crisis in Iraq -- a crisis emanating from Iraq's ongoing civil war.

Rosen, who spent more than two years in Iraq reporting on the relationship between Americans and Iraqis and the development of postwar religious and political movements, was invited by the Rev. John Denaro and Richard Parkins of Episcopal Migration Ministries (EMM) to be a part of EMM's observance of World Refugee Day. Denaro commented that it was in reading Rosen's recent article on Iraqi refugees in the New York Times Magazine that he thought of inviting him speak at the Church Center as a way of spotlighting the burgeoning refugee crisis of uprooted Iraqis.

Introducing Rosen, EMM's director Parkins said that "the refugee situation in Iraq was on the verge of becoming a major humanitarian crisis and that World Refugee Day, which actually falls on June 20, was a good time to bring focus to this issue."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_87229_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

UPDATED: Church's 400-year heritage is fabric 'woven together with prayer' Virginia Episcopalians host commemorative service June 24 on Jamestown Island

By Bob Williams

[Episcopal News Service] The fabric of four centuries of history -- woven with the 1607 beginnings of the Jamestown Settlement, Native American responses, and the rise of the African slave trade -- was prayerfully examined on June 24 as Episcopalians gathered for Eucharist to mark the church's 400-year heritage rooted in the region.

Recalling the settlers' original sailcloth, canvas suspended from trees shaded the rough-hewn altar around which bishops from the four dioceses that comprised the original Virginia of 1785 gathered with Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori for Eucharist at which Bishop John Clark Buchanan of Southern Virginia was celebrant.

Also at the table were the bishops of Liverpool, England, and Kumasi, Ghana, both representing points of a "triangle of hope" engaged in continued healing and reconciliation in the slave trade's wake.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_87199_ENG_HTM.htm

The full text of the Presiding Bishop's June 24 sermon is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78703_87227_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

MULTIMEDIA

Image Gallery: Marking the Church's 400-year heritage on Jamestown Island

[Episcopal Life Online] An image gallery of the June 24 outdoor morning service commemorating the 400th anniversary of the planting of the Church in America on Jamestowne Island in Virginia is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81991_87218_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Video: Presiding Bishop preaches for 400th anniversary celebration at Jamestown

[Episcopal Life Online] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori preached at the June 24 Eucharist to mark the church's 400-year heritage rooted in the region. A video stream of the Presiding Bishop's homily is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

CANADA: Synod commits to pastoral care of same-gender couples, rejects membership of Primates on ACC http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_87235_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

FEATURES

In martyrs' footsteps

El Salvador sites a reminder of humanity's worst -- and best

By Lee Allison Crawford

[Episcopal life] Ever since I was 13 and pestered my aunt and uncle living in the Netherlands to take me to Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam, I have sought out holy sites as pilgrimage destinations. I have walked more than three quarters of the medieval Way of Saint James (Camino de Santiago de Compostela) in both France and Spain and visited countless Romanesque and Gothic churches with their medieval relics.

The pilgrimage destination that remains the most powerful for me, however, is what I call Via Crucis or the Via Dolorosa of San Salvador, El Salvador. The capitol city of this small Central American country of 6.6 million people has at least four stations that pilgrims can visit: Divina Providencia, the city cathedral, the University of Central America and the central park.

Any pilgrim in San Salvador will go to the little hospital, Divina Providencia, where Archbishop Oscar Romero lived and was assassinated while he said Mass on March 24, 1980. In his little house of three rooms, one sees his vestments, stained with his blood, complete with the single hole of the bullet that ripped through his heart.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81834_87230_ENG_HTM.htm

More Features: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78936_ENG_HTM.htm