From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UCC] Synod affirms UCC's embrace of theological diversity

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:25:42 -0700

Synod affirms UCC's embrace of theological diversity

Written by Joanne Griffith Domingue June 26, 2007

"I have felt an extravagant welcome" here at Synod, the Rev. Bob Thompson, president of the UCC's Faithful and Welcoming Congregations, told delegates on Tuesday. "And I want to take home to our [evangelical, conservative, orthodox and traditional] churches that we are wanted and welcome."

Thompson was speaking in reference to the Synod's vote to affirm the resolution, "Reaffirming our Commitment to Covenantal Relationships," which was an amended and renamed version of "Reaffirming our Faith to Retain our Churches," a resolution submitted by Thompson's Corinth Reformed Church in Hickory, N.C., and 25 other churches, representing seven states, affiliated with the FWC movement. Thompson spoke in favor of the resolution as amended and urged its passage.

Karen Fritz from Massachusetts also supported the amended resolution "so all may have their thirst addressed. We do need each other."

The wording was changed in the last two paragraphs of the resolution to be more inclusive and inviting. The amended resolution now encourages all members and all churches, not just those who consider themselves evangelical, conservative, orthodox and traditional (ECOT), to remain in the UCC and to increase covenantal partnerships through giving to the wider church by sharing joys and concerns and by participating in every aspect of denomination life.

The resolution also acknowledges a broad spectrum of thought on issues of theology and ethics and advocates fair representation of all points of view, not just ECOT and centrist, in all settings of the UCC.

Another resolution, "Returning to Unity and Diversity in the United Church of Christ," was considered by Synod, which voted to take no action, per recommendation of committee. but no action was taken. The proposal had been submitted by the Penn Central Conference, however, no one from Penn Central was present at committee meetings to speak to the resolution, said committee chair Lisa Gardner.

"The committee listened to one another, really listened," Gardner said. The committee felt the language was harsh and divisive. Therefore the committee recommended no action, she said.