From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 327-Faith and sacrifice build new church in Zimbabwe

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:46:36 -0500

Faith and sacrifice build new church in Zimbabwe

Jun. 28, 2007

NOTE: Photographs are available at http://umns.umc.org.

By Shaun A. Lane*

MURADZIKWA, Zimbabwe (UMNS)--The words sacrifice and faith had new meaning for members of a congregation gathered for the groundbreaking of their new church building in Zimbabwe.

The new Muradzikwa United Methodist Church will be built 300 yards from the current structure.

"Everyone is welcome here," sang the choir in their native Shona language as Dawson Pasirai, vice district lay leader of the Zimbabwe Conference, reflected on the strength of the 300-member church and the significance of the June 10 groundbreaking.

"They have had the vision of a new church for a while now," said Pasirai, "and the members here have very little money. But they walk on faith, and now they are on the verge of having a new church."

Taking part in the service were Zimbabwe United Methodist Church officials, including Bishop Eben Nhiwatiwa, and a delegation from the Baltimore-Washington Annual (regional) Conference, including Bishop John R. Schol.

The Baltimore-Washington Conference has been in partnership with the two Zimbabwe annual conferences since 1996.

"The Baltimore-Washington Conference partnership with us is significant in many ways," said Nhiwatiwa. "Bishop Schol has helped to equip our pastors with leadership. And more importantly, it gives us an opportunity to exchange ideas with them."

During the ceremony, Nhiwatiwa asked church members if they had the necessary materials--bricks, mortar and other building essentials--to complete the project. When they answered "yes" to all of the questions, he pronounced the church ready to begin building.

"They still need the money to build," Nhiwatiwa said. "But we cannot promise them anything. The church has to step forward."

Pasirai said the estimated cost of the project is $10,000, but he is confident the money will come.

"We will work on faith," he said. "We do good things here and we want to do more. God will provide. And our members will come through when needed."

Schol said the conference's Hope Fund and Bel Air United Methodist Church will help to close the financial gap, but the people of Muradzikwa are giving generously now.

After the ceremonial groundbreaking, congregants walked up to the groundbreaking hole and placed money in it, singing and dancing the entire time.

"They make sacrifices every day just to survive sometimes, so giving extra money for a new building will not break them," Pasirai said. "This church started in 1905 and God has provided every step of the way. This will not be any different. We serve a very good God."

*Lane is director of communications for the Baltimore-Washington Annual Conference

News media contact: Linda Green, (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.