From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] Kieschnick responds to Vatican

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:06:53 -0500

7.12.2007 LCMS News

THE LUTHERAN CHURCH Missouri Synod

July 12, 2007 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 42

Kieschnick responds to Vatican statement

In response to a document approved by Pope Benedict XVI and released by the Vatican July 10 that says, in part, " ... other Christian communities are either defective or not true churches and that only Roman Catholicism provides the true path to salvation," Dr. Gerald B. Kieschnick, president of The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod, today responded that this declaration, with which Lutherans and other Christian church bodies obviously disagree, is nothing new.

"Similar statements and perspectives precipitated the 16th century Reformation nearly 500 years ago," Kieschnick said. "At that time Martin Luther said, 'Popes and councils can err.' Apparently that is still true today."

Kieschnick explained that even 500 years ago, the church was defined in the simple words of the Lutheran Confessions by those whose faith in Christ precipitated the Reformation, such as:

* "[The church] is the assembly of all believers among whom the Gospel is preached in its purity and the holy sacraments are administered according to the Gospel" (Augsburg Confession Article VII).

* "Thank God, [today] a child seven years old knows what the Church is, namely, the holy believers and lambs who hear the voice of their Shepherd. For the children pray thus: 'I believe in one holy Christian church' " (Smalcald Articles: Art. XII; Triglot, p. 499).

Kieschnick concluded by saying, "We look forward to the continuation of our theological dialogues with Roman Catholic leaders in discussion of this very important matter and to strengthening our common witness on such matters as the sanctity of life."

If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release, contact Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org <mailto:joe.isenhower@lcms.org> or (314) 996-1231, or Paula Schlueter Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org <mailto:paula.ross@lcms.org> or (314) 996-1230.

This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided by:

Board for Communication Services, Division of News and Information

Contact Editor

<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editori d =6>

This LCMS e-News message comes from a "Send Only" mailbox that does not recognize replies. To reply to this message, please click on "Contact Editor" above.

_____