From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink: Episcopal Mission Exchange helps rebuild lives, hurricane-damaged homes in Alabama

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2007 05:25:15 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink July 5, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

* TOP STORY - Episcopal Mission Exchange helps rebuild lives, hurricane-damaged homes in Alabama * WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Christian and Muslim leaders meet at Lambeth Palace * WORLD REPORT - SCOTLAND: Inter Faith Council condemns attack on Glasgow airport * FEATURE - Woman's Day gift: Baby survives difficult delivery in land where childbirth is perilous

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Episcopal Mission Exchange helps rebuild lives, hurricane-damaged homes in Alabama

By Jim DeLa

[Episcopal News Service] On a hot day at the end of June a team of youth and adults from the Diocese of Southwest Florida were hard at work in Bayou La Batre, Alabama, priming and painting walls, and improving the floor of a tiny two-bedroom home on five-foot-tall stilts that was heavily damaged two years ago by Hurricane Katrina.

The group was part of a weeklong mission trip facilitated by a new organization, the Episcopal Mission Exchange (EMX).

EMX was developed in response to the General Convention's Priority on Youth beginning in 2003. The Office of Youth Ministries of the Episcopal Church, with support of youth ministers of the nine provinces of the church and in partnership with Passport, Inc., an ecumenical student ministry organization, created a resource for parish youth leaders to provide meaningful mission experiences.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_87828_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

ENGLAND: Christian and Muslim leaders meet at Lambeth Palace http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_87815_ENG_HTM.htm

SCOTLAND: Inter Faith Council condemns attack on Glasgow airport http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_87832_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

FEATURES

Woman's Day gift

Baby survives difficult delivery in land where childbirth is perilous

By Scott and Carol Kellerman

[Episcopal Life] March 8 was Woman's Day in Uganda. It is celebrated with song and dance and a rare day of rest for women, as men are supposed to take over all the work that their spouses do. On this day, I was called to help our midwife in an endeavor that men can never assume -- childbirth.

The young African mother had been laboring for quite a long time attempting to deliver her first child. Labor had been sluggish and had been improved only slightly with pitocin. We faced a dilemma that is typical in sub-Saharan Africa; when to transfer?

Although we have a very active maternity unit (up to five deliveries per day), the closest place for surgical intervention is a two-and-a-half-hour drive on a frightful road to a government hospital. Frequently this hospital lacks blood or even sterile gloves, and then the next option is a Catholic mission hospital a further two hours down the road.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_87817_ENG_HTM.htm

More Features: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78936_ENG_HTM.htm