From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] People / Catalyst: Light in the Dark Ages

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2007 06:14:36 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Thursday, July 12, 2007.

* Today in Scripture:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 2000, the 73rd General Convention adopted the new name of Episcopal Relief and Development for the former Presiding Bishop's Fund for World Relief. _____________________

PEOPLE

Diocese of Atlanta names new communication director http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_88071_ENG_HTM.htm

Miguelina Espinal appointed missioner for Pastoral Leadership Search Effort http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_88068_ENG_HTM.htm

C. David Williams elected president of Union of Black Episcopalians http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_88067_ENG_HTM.htm

Rebecca McClain resigns from national Church Deployment Office http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_88066_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "Light in the Dark Ages" from Paraclete Press, by Jon M. Sweeney, 204 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $16.95

[Source: Paraclete Press] The Middle Ages were not so very dark, as the old textbooks say. As you will discover in this intriguing portrait of the first Franciscans, we live in dark ages whenever we become preoccupied with power. In this popular history, Jon Sweeney reveals the timeless temptations that come with being human -- greed, competition, ego, and selfishness -- as well as the many ways that Francis and Clare of Assisi inspired change and brought light into darkness.

Discover how Francis was first found by God and then joined by Clare despite the violent objections of her family. Explore a variety of issues that they faced, including the treatment of lepers in medieval society, corruption in the Church, and attitudes toward the created world. You will also learn how Clare's spirituality influenced that of other prominent women, how St. Francis lost control of his own movement, and why Francis's body was secretly buried upon his death.

The examples of early Franciscan spirituality challenge any of us who would follow Christ today. How would we view a young person today who rejected family for spiritual reasons? Is it possible for men and women to have deep friendship and remain true to a call to chastity? Is intentional poverty of any value? Have we sentimentalized family to the point of ignoring what Jesus taught his disciples on the subject?

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org