From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Kathy Magnus, Lutheran World Federation Regional Officer, to Retire

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:50:30 -0500

Title: Kathy Magnus, Lutheran World Federation Regional Officer, to Retire ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 16, 2007

Kathy Magnus, Lutheran World Federation Regional Officer, to Retire 07-127-LL*

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Kathy J. Magnus, Lutheran World Federation (LWF) Regional Officer for North America, announced she will retire Dec. 31, 2007.

Magnus, 60, has served as the LWF Regional Officer for North America since 2002. Prior to her position with the LWF, Magnus served as the vice president of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) -- the highest elected position a lay person can hold in the ELCA. Magnus has also served as a staff member of the ELCA Global Mission program unit and as an assistant to the bishop in the ELCA Rocky Mountain Synod, Denver.

The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund, Sweden, the LWF now has 140 member churches in 78 countries.

"I am deeply grateful for the opportunity I have had in these last six years to serve on the staff of the LWF," said Magnus. "The work has been meaningful, challenging and filled with opportunity. I have learned so much about the world and our wonderful global family of Lutherans. The relationship between the ELCA and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC) continues to bear exciting, new partnerships and initiatives for sharing. Telling the LWF story in North America has been a privilege, and I am convinced that the LWF's 66 million members do make a difference!"

"I had the privilege of working with Kathy when she served as ELCA vice president, as a partner in ministry as the LWF North American Regional Officer, and as a colleague in global mission," said the Rev. Rafael Malpica Padilla, executive director, ELCA Global Mission, after receiving news of her retirement. "What I have treasured most has been her sound judgment, which has been enhanced by her ability to listen, clarity of thought, and most of all her Christ-like manner."

Magnus' office is located here at the ELCA Churchwide office. She serves the LWF member churches in North America by building connections among churches and the global Lutheran family.

"She has put a very personal face on the work of the LWF. She has also been a key player in deepening the working relationship between this church and our partners in Canada," said the Rev. Randall R. Lee, executive for ELCA Ecumenical and Inter-Religious Relations. "She will be very missed."

The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop, noted, "Kathy's great gifts as a communicator, administrator and convener have contributed to a growing awareness of and commitment to the work of the LWF. She has a marvelous ability to share stories out of the varied contexts where LWF is present in a way that deepens our global connectedness in an often fragmented world."

Magnus is married to the Rev. Richard A. Magnus, executive director, ELCA Evangelical Outreach and Congregational Mission. He too has announced his retirement effective Dec. 31. The Magnuses have two adult children and three grandchildren.

---

Information about LWF is found at: http://www.ELCA.org/lwf/ on the ELCA web site. * Lauren A. Lamb is a senior public relations and speech communication major at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. This summer she is an intern with the ELCA News Service.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog