From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Secretary Calls for Continued LCMS, ELCA Conversations

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:51:48 -0500

Title: ELCA Secretary Calls for Continued LCMS, ELCA Conversations ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 19, 2007

ELCA Secretary Calls for Continued LCMS, ELCA Conversations 07-131-JB

HOUSTON (ELCA) - Noting the diverse histories of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), the secretary of the ELCA called for continued conversations between leaders of the two Lutheran church bodies.

Speaking to the LCMS 63rd Regular Convention on July 19, the Rev. Lowell G. Almen, who will retire later this year after 20 years as ELCA secretary, said the different histories "shape the distinctive characteristics of the ELCA and the LCMS."

"Therefore, we need to talk. We need to listen. We need to seek understanding," he told the delegates.

The theme of the July 14-19 convention here is "One Message -- Christ! His Love is Here for You!"

Almen greeted the more than 1,200 voting delegates on behalf of the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop, the ELCA's 4.8 million members and the more than 10,000 ELCA congregations in the United States and Caribbean.

When the ELCA was formed in 1988, the Lutheran Council in the U.S.A. ceased to exist, Almen said. He said he was "convinced of the need for a systematic, continuing point of contact between leaders of the ELCA and LCMS." Almen said he urged the establishment of the Committee on Lutheran Cooperation (CLC), of which he has been a member for two decades. The CLC brings together leaders of both churches, generally twice a year, and alternates meetings in St. Louis and Chicago, cities in which the two church bodies of the LCMS and ELCA, respectively, are based.

The ELCA Churchwide Assembly, that church's highest legislative authority, meets Aug. 6-11 in Chicago. Almen shared a portion of his report to that assembly with Synod convention delegates.

"I have worked hard in trying to keep as many doors and windows as open as possible between the ELCA and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. The task has not been easy, and at times the prospects have seemed discouraging. Yet I remain convinced that, for the sake of clear Lutheran witness in this land, these two church bodies need to work together in as many ways as possible, now and in the years to come," Almen wrote.

"We need to do so not just for ourselves, but we need to do so for the sake of our children, our grandchildren and our great- grandchildren," he said.

He told the delegates of areas of cooperation that "we can treasure together" -- Lutheran World Relief, Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service, Lutheran Services in America, and the Inter- Lutheran Coordination Committee for Ministry in Chaplaincy, Pastoral Counseling and Clinical Education.

Almen noted the two churches' cooperation in Lutheran military chaplaincy. Support and recruitment of military chaplains is essential, he said, adding that the ELCA has lost one-fourth of its active-duty military chaplains in the past three years to retirement.

"Will we as Lutherans leave the pastoral care of our members in the armed forces only to religious groups who have no understanding or appreciation of our heritage? I certainly hope not," he told the convention. Almen asked for prayers for chaplaincy leaders and chaplains in both churches, some of whom serve on the front lines in war zones.

"May God continue to bless our faithful proclamation of the gospel throughout our churches. We confess together that 'God sent his only Son into the world so that we might live through him. ... Beloved, since God loved us so much, we also ought to love one another,'" he concluded.

---

Information about the LCMS Convention is at http://www.lcms.org/?8410 on the Web.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog