From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Keep on truckin'

From newsservice <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:03:36 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story and photos located at: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07437.htm

07437 July 19, 2007

Keep on truckin'

Texas octogenarian inspires popular Web site at Youth Triennium

by Jerry Van Marter Presbyterian News Service

WEST LAFAYETTE, IN - Nancy Sullivan is 86 years old. She is forced to use a walker to get around. She's 2,000 miles away.

And yet, she's an unlikely star of the 2007 Presbyterian Youth Triennium (PYT), happening here on the campus of Purdue University from July 17-22.

Strolling around the campus, red stickers emblazoned with white letters reading "runs with Walker - runswithwalker.com" can be spotted on the name tags of many of the more than 4,400 teenagers who are attending the Triennium.

For the Rev. Blake Spencer, pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Richardson, TX, and the director of the PYT Spirituality Center, Sullivan's story - and the response to it by the kids gathered here - embodies the PYT theme: "Hope is in our midst."

"About two years ago, Nancy had to start using a walker," Spencer told the Presbyterian News Service in a July 18 interview. "She's always been a very active person and did notwant to resort to a walker," he said, "but finally said, 'I have to.'"

Sullivan stays so busy, she's frequently running late, Spencer mused, "so she's frequently running - literally - with her walker. She's made a real impression on a lot of people. She's a symbol of hope - if Nancy can run around with a walker, there's hope for all of us. She's a real good news story."

The young people at Richardson First have been particularly inspired by Sullivan's indomitable spirit. One of them, James Swindle - whom Spencer lovingly calls "our computer guru" - created the Web site, runs with walker, "so other people can share their stories of faith. We're really good at telling each other the bad news in our lives. Our young people said, 'let's create a space where people can tell their personal good news stories.'"

And it seemed like a natural to spread the word about the Web site at the 2007 PYT. "When we told Nancy about it, she cried," Spencer said. "We tried to get her here - the kids would have eaten her up - but we just couldn't swing it."

Nevertheless, Nancy Sullivan is becoming a heroine to a growing number of PYT participants. Spencer says the response to her story "is a sign that hope and a deep sense of spirituality is running strongly through this triennium."

On the first day of the triennium, more than 100 kids visited the Spirituality Center, which is somewhat off the beaten path here. It promises to get far more use as the week goes on.

"It's designed to introduce people to different methods of prayer and meditation, Spencer said.

There are several "stations" arranged around the spacious room - a reading area, a labyrinth, an area with rocking chairs facing a large screen on which are projected scenes from nature, a meditative music area and a table for creating "cards of hope."

"The table includes a children's book about one child's journey of faith," Spencer explained. "Young people are invited to reflect on the book and on their own faith journey and then write their own story of how God has been with them in their life."

There is also an art corner, in which works of art - paintings, sculptures, drawings - are displayed at various stages in their creation. "We're trying to demonstrate through works of art that life and faith is a journey and to help the kids meditate on that reality in their own lives."

To learn more about Nancy Sullivan and to share your good news story of faith.