From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Jesus sightings

From newsservice <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:19:59 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story and photo is located at: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07449.htm

07449 July 23, 2007

Jesus sightings

'Road to Emmaus - the Musical' highlights Triennium worship

by Jerry Van Marter Presbyterian News Service

WEST LAFEYETTE, IN - Their dramatic interpretations of Bible stories have been inspired throughout the 2007 Presbyterian Youth Triennium here, but Saturday (July 21) Goose Chase, Inc. outdid themselves.

"The Road to Emmaus - The Musical" told the story of the risen Christ's encounter with two followers as recorded in Luke 24 through song, dance and parodies of Saturday Night Live and entertainment news programs on television.

Two Goose Chasers, portraying "In Your Face News" anchors, reported on several Jesus sightings following the resurrection, while obviously doctored photos flashed on the large overhead screens of an iconic Jesus standing with a group of surfers on a beach, standing in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle at Disneyland, and surveying the Great Wall of China.

The scene then shifts to the road to Emmaus, where Goose Chasers portraying Jesus' followers are strolling. "Just follow the yellow brick road," one tells the other, before muttering, "Oops, wrong musical."

The Goose Chaser portraying Jesus joins them on the road, and the story proceeds as in Luke's gospel, with the followers not recognizing Christ until they break bread together after traveling some way. Then the followers rush off to tell their story of meeting the risen Lord.

"God created human beings because God loves a good story," said the Rev. Cheryl Goodman-Morris, a Goose Chaser, in her homily. "Just look around you," she told the 4,400 triennium participants crowded into the Elliott Hall of Music on the Purdue University campus here. "One of God's great stories is in every seat, because the story of God's people didn't end when the Bible was bound. If we could compile them all, we'd leave this place as a 'ginormous' Presbyterian Bible."

The two followers on the road to Emmaus "might as well be you," Goodman-Morris told her young listeners. "When they start out they are sharing the stories of what's happened and they're devastated - Jesus had created a vision that gave them vocation and purpose. Instead they saw their friend tortured, murdered, humiliated and it dashed their hopes."

Until Jesus opened their eyes.

Goodman-Morris told of a friend who, putting too much pressure on himself to succeed as a musician, turned to alcohol. "Like Cleopas on the road to Emmaus, Steven was caught up in a personal drama of sadness and a loss of hope," she said. "But what I love about Jesus is he asks questions," she continued, "forcing people out of the dramas of their lives to look at what's really happening, to spill their guts."

It may not be alcohol, Goodman-Morris continued, "but there are lots of issues being carried in this room - all of which can keep us from seeing the risen Lord, who is with us every day of our lives if we but realize it."

Then, turning to what she called "the most ginormous communion table we've ever seen," Goodman-Morris said, "There's something about the breaking of the bread - Jesus being broken open on the cross - to know that God has power to save.

"When we admit that we don't have the power but God does," she said, "the healing and hope begins."

Gesturing to the table, Goodman-Morris said, "It's not permanent - that's why it's so important to practice the faith in community, to see the spark of divinity in Christ and yourself."

As the sacrament was served, participants quietly sang:

Hungry, I come to You, for I know You satisfy

I am empty but I know Your love does not run dry. Broken I run to You, for Your arms are open wide I am weary but I know Your arms are open wide. I'm falling on my knees, offering all of me Jesus, You're all this heart is living for.