From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

John Sladek resigns as president of ELCA's California Lutheran University

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:45:25 -0500

ELCA News Blog

July 26, 2007

John Sladek resigns as president of ELCA's California Lutheran University

by Lauren A. Lamb, ELCA News Service*

Dr. John R. Sladek resigned as president of California Lutheran University (CLU), Thousand Oaks, Calif., effective July 23. CLU -- with about 3,200 students -- is one of 28 colleges and universities of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

Sladek, who has served as CLU's president since 2006, announced his plans to resign on July 23. During his tenure, Sladek was instrumental in reaching out to alumni and private donors to increase giving, welcoming the university's largest-ever incoming freshman class, and overseeing a new budget model for university salaries, according to a CLU news release. "For the past six years, CLU has experienced unprecedented growth with our endowment, our student body and our reputation. Dr. Sladek played a leadership role of substantial impact in that growth," said William J. Kane, chair of the CLU board of regents. The Rev. Howard E. Wennes, Thousand Oaks, will serve CLU as interim president.

Sladek, a neuroscience researcher, will return to the University of Colorado to renew his work to eradicate the effects of Down syndrome and Parkinson's disease. "I am honored at the opportunities afforded to me by CLU, and I am proud that I was able to have an impact on the university's long-term goals," he said. "However, I am excited to funnel my passion and energy toward biomedical research, which means that I will return to my family and life in Colorado."

*Lauren A. Lamb is a senior public relations and speech communication major at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. This summer she is an intern with the ELCA News Service.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog