From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Montreat surpasses $20 million endowment goal

From newsservice <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:49:37 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story online at: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07461.htm

07461 July 27, 2007

Montreat surpasses $20 million endowment goal Campaign success hailed as 'a turning point'

by Jerry Van Marter Presbyterian News Service

MONTREAT, NC - A campaign to raise a $20 million endowment for the Montreat Conference Center here has exceeded its goal by more than $1 million.

"The generosity of those who love Montreat and believe in the mission of the conference center is truly astounding," said J. Gilmour Lake, chairman of the Montreat Campaign for Endowment.

"Achievement of this goal will shine as one of the turning points for this place we love," said conference center president George F. Barber, III.

Moving the mark even higher for the endowment, the Morgan Foundation of Laurel Hill, NC, announced a $1 million challenge gift for the conference center's youth ministry. "I urge you to give to the endowment," said the foundation's Jim Morgan. "When you give a dollar, it is really two dollars.

The Morgan gift raises the value of the campaign to $22 million. The Morgan family's lifetime devotion to the conference center's ministry has seen multiple generations serve on its board of directors, including Jim Morgan, his father and currently Jim's sister, Elise Morgan.

The announcement was made at Montreat's third annual "Firefly Dinner," gathering supporters who formed the conference center's "Firefly Society" three years ago.

"Early generations of Montreaters carried little lanterns called 'fireflies' to light their way home after dark from the evening conference center activities," said J. William "Bill" Straughan, executive director of the Montreat's Development Foundation board. "The person carrying the firefly would lift it high, banishing the shadows for everyone and lighting the way with a warm circle of light. The tradition seemed a fitting one to recognize those who wanted to keep the light of the Montreat Conference Center alive for future generations by giving to endowment."

At the dinner, certificates were given to J. Gilmour and Nancy Lake, James D. Galloway, Jr., Gayden R. Jones, and the Morgan Foundation for their gifts of $1 million to the endowment campaign.

"This is a wonderful beginning," said Lake. "Much, however, still lies ahead. Through this campaign for endowment, we ensure Montreat's ministry for generations to come. I have enormous confidence in what the future holds for this 'place set apart' as I meet with people who want to build on this strong foundation and give to the endowment. I want to encourage everyone who believes in the future of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to give to the ministry here.

Information for this story furnished by Merri Bass of the Montreat Conference Center.