From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

The LWF Invites Online Donations

From "Frank Imhoff" <Frank.Imhoff@elca.org>
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:53:52 -0500

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION

LWI news online: www.lutheranworld.org/News/Welcome.EN.html

The LWF Invites Online Donations An Opportunity to Support the Communion's Worldwide Activities

GENEVA, 27 July 2007 (LWI) - It is now possible to donate directly online to the humanitarian and development work of the Lutheran World Federation (LWF), as well as to its general programs. A new donation portal with the slogan âGet Involved - Make a Difference - A Better World is Possible," invites Internet users to support the communion's worldwide activities.

An opportunity is offered to enter into partnership with the LWF and accompany its work on a long-term basis. As described by LWF Office for Communication Services Director, Ms Karin Achtelstetter, the portal allows LWF Web site visitors to âgo on a voyage of discovery, find out about the LWFâs many different programs and projects, be surprised, return, and tell others about it.â Achtelstetter explained that it was not just a matter of transferring money. She said she hoped that many Internet users would lend themselves âto discover the wide range of LWF work, advocate for change, and thereby contribute to its success.†

In making it possible to contribute to projects and programs online, Achtelstetter continued, the LWF was responding to an oft-expressed wish. She said, âtime and again we have received inquiries from visitors to our Web site asking how they could contribute directly to our work through donations.â

LWF Department for World Service (DWS) Director, Rev. Eberhard Hitzler, has great expectations for the donation portal. He said he hopes that more people, especially young people, can be reached in this way. âWe also want to make clear that, in our rich world, there are millions of people who are refugees, or who suffer from the effects of natural disasters and wars, and that we, as a worldwide communion of churches, want to and are able to help these people,â he said.

âIt would be good if, through the donation portal, we could also raise people's awareness in Africa, Asia, and Latin America about our work. Not everyone on those continents is poor and receives assistance. My greatest wish is that Christians the world over support World Service so that we, in their name, can help wherever in the world help is most needed.â Hitzler said he was very eager to see whether contribution s would be received not only from rich northern countries but also, for example, from Christians in countries such as India or South Africa who wanted to help lessen people's suffering in other places such as Nepal or Chad.

Donations to any of the LWF programs and projects of the LWF departments' global humanitarian and development work, as well as to the LWF in general, and to the LWF Endowment Fund, are gratefully accepted via credit card. The fund serves primarily to strengthen and supplement, through capital returns, financial support for the work of the LWF. The programs and projects can also be selected according to specific issues.

In a second phase, the portal will be expanded to include an online shop and online billing. (500 words)

The LWF online donation portal can be accessed at: http://donations.lutheranworld.org

* * *

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund, Sweden, the LWF currently has 140 member churches in 78 countries all over the world, with a total membership of nearly 66.7 million. The LWF acts on behalf of its member churches in areas of common interest such as ecumenical and interfaith relations, theology, humanitarian assistance, human rights, communication, and the various aspects of mission and development work. Its secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the LWF's information service. Unless specifically noted, material presented does not represent positions or opinions of the LWF or of its various units. Where the dateline of an article contains the notation (LWI), the material may be freely reproduced with acknowledgment.]

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION P. O. Box 2100 CH-1211 Geneva 2 Switzerland

Tel.: +41/22-791 63 69 Fax: +41/22-791 66 30 Editorâs E-Mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org