From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:35:23 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink July 27, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - ARKANSAS: Diocese building broad retreat ministry * DIOCESAN DIGEST - IDAHO: Bishop announces retirement plans * WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Archbishop of Kaduna installed as a Six Preacher in Canterbury Cathedral * WORLD REPORT - INDIA: Christian women lament crisis of female feticide * WORLD REPORT - RWANDA: Religious leaders urged to support fundamental U.N. principles * OPINION - 'We won't walk away': Communion's friendships, traditions, partnerships too valuable * ARTS - Author looks at cases of love and 'unexpected grace' in a book of the same title

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

ARKANSAS: Diocese building broad retreat ministry http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_88552_ENG_HTM.htm

IDAHO: Bishop announces retirement plans

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_88550_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

ENGLAND: Archbishop of Kaduna installed as a Six Preacher in Canterbury Cathedral http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_88555_ENG_HTM.htm

INDIA: Christian women lament crisis of female feticide http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_88554_ENG_HTM.htm

RWANDA: Religious leaders urged to support fundamental U.N. principles http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_88557_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

OPINION

Episcopal Life Online July 27, 2007

'We won't walk away': Communion's friendships, traditions, partnerships too valuable

By Bill Tully

[Episcopal Life] Editor's note: This column was written in late April for CrossRoads, the newsletter of St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Park Avenue and 51st Street, New York.

If Anglicanism has a physical home, it is here in Canterbury where I write while gazing at the great cathedral. We are a group of rectors of large North American congregations, who meet once a year after Easter to refresh our theological minds and to support one another's work and spirits.

We thought it important to come here as an expression of belonging to the Anglican family at a time when some question our loyalty, or even faithfulness. We are listening to and talking with some leaders and servants of the Anglican Communion.

I came to this conference with, I confess, some ambivalence about whether unity or affection for things Anglican should trump the important stand our American Episcopal church has taken on incorporating new insights on human sexuality with the Christian and biblical ethic of love.

After just two days I am still ambivalent, but I am clearer about a couple of things. Even if our church is somehow excluded from Anglican structures, we will not be excommunicated in any sense. There are too many friendships, too many shared traditions, too many powerful missionary partnerships that we and others value. We won't walk away. Our friends won't walk away.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_88565_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

ARTS

Author looks at cases of love and 'unexpected grace' in a book of the same title

By Staff

[Episcopal Life] Bill Kramer, a freelance writer for magazines, business, theater and film, has practiced meditation for nearly three decades. As a result, he says, he is deeply interested in how individuals attempt to integrate spiritual beliefs with the challenging circumstances of real world social agendas.

In this his first book, Kramer, who lives in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, brings story-telling to faith and science. Unexpected Grace: Stories of Faith, Science and Altruism (Templeton Foundation Press, $22.95.), should interest many Episcopalians who know about the ministry at St. Paul's Chapel to recovery and relief workers after the terrorist attacks upon the World Trade Towers in New York in 2001.

The first part of Kramer's book, "Love Stronger Than Death," profiles Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, who was in the midst of taping a television program at Trinity Church, Wall Street, when the attacks occurred; Courtney Cowart, who was instrumental in the ministry in the weeks that followed; the Rev. Fred Burnham and two dozen others who were forced to flee from Trinity Place on 9/11. Their survival story and the subsequent "holy service work" that was done at St. Paul's Chapel is depicted in powerful detail.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_88567_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm