From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Uses Athletic, Musical Abilities to Raise Money for Ending Hunger

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:11:34 -0500

Title: Lutheran Uses Athletic, Musical Abilities to Raise Money for Ending Hunger ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 1, 2007

Lutheran Uses Athletic, Musical Abilities to Raise Money for Ending Hunger 07-137-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- On June 24, Kris Litman swam 2.4 miles, rode his bicycle 112 miles and ran 26.2 miles, consecutively, with a distinct mission in mind -- "to raise money for the World Hunger Appeal" of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), said Litman, 27. With the help of others, Litman raised $31,000 for the ELCA World Hunger Appeal in 2007.

"I've always felt that the needs of (people who are) hungry are something that Jesus calls us to attend to," said Litman. There's "something in our American culture that shelters us from the facts about hunger; it's removed from our eyes. So, I wanted to raise money for the appeal and make known what the appeal is designed to do."

Funds garnered from the annual ELCA World Hunger Appeal are distributed to churches and organizations across the United States and overseas that support the relief of chronic hunger and poverty around the world.

Litman swam, biked and ran in the "Ironman Triathlon" in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, in 14 hours and 30 minutes -- under the 17-hour triathlon limit.

By the time of the triathlon, Litman had raised $29,000 and an extra $2,000 for the appeal through the Janus Charity Challenge. Janus, a financial organization that co-sponsors ironman events, awarded the ELCA World Hunger Appeal $2,000 when Litman placed fifth in the challenge to raise the largest dollar amount for a charity.

"I can't take credit" for raising the money, said Litman. "Many people and congregations (shared) a tremendous amount of support."

Litman said the purpose of initiating a fundraising effort was to serve as "a catalyst for people to hear about the ELCA World Hunger Appeal" and "show that you can do it, too. I hope that congregations and others would do their own fundraising ventures for the appeal."

The Rev. Martin D. Wells, bishop, ELCA Eastern Washington- Idaho Synod, Spokane, Wash., issued "a challenge to pastors to raise money for the appeal. In turn the pastors challenged congregations to participate and contribute. About $14,000 was raised from (Lutherans) in that synod alone," said Litman.

Litman and his friend, Nick Jenkins, earned money for the appeal by performing acoustic music for "congregations in North and South Carolina and Tennessee that would host us. In our performances, we talked about the ELCA World Hunger Appeal," said Litman.

Jenkins and Litman became friends when they were students at Lenoir-Rhyne College, Hickory, N.C. Lenoir-Rhyne is one of 28 colleges and universities of the ELCA.

Now a student at Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Columbus, Ohio, Litman is spending the rest of the summer learning Greek. He hopes to begin a career in parish ministry and remain "open to where the Spirit leads me." Trinity is one of eight seminaries of the ELCA.

"Before I came to seminary, I served as director of youth and family ministries at Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd," Mount Holly, N.C., said Litman. "The one thing I've always taught young people is that everyone has gifts given to them by God. We should try to find ways to use those gifts to benefit God's kingdom.

"I know I have some music and athletic ability, and I wanted to use these gifts to benefit God's ministry in the world. I just hope others will become motivated to use their God-given gifts for the ministry of God," he said. - - -

Information about ELCA World Hunger is at

http://www.ELCA.org/hunger on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog