From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 373-Youth groups win film contest with stories of faith

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:13:36 -0500

Youth groups win film contest with stories of faith

Aug. 2, 2007

NOTE: Photographs are available at http://umns.umc.org.

GREENBSORO, N.C. (UMNS) - Three United Methodist youth groups won top honors in a film contest that provided them opportunities to tell stories about faith, spirituality and youth-relevant issues.

The United Methodist Board of Discipleship's first online film festival for youth was held prior to Youth 2007 in Greensboro, July 11-15. The top three winning entries were shown to the nearly 6,200 United Methodist youth at the gathering, which is held every four years.

"We are very excited about the results the film festival has produced," said P. Jay Clark, who heads Leadership Development with Youth and is director of Youth '07. "Our hope is that this competition will continue to grow as a way youth groups can come together and reflect on their faith journeys and share those journeys with others."

The Insight Film project, sponsored by the board's Young People's Ministries unit, gave youth opportunity to show faith through the use of documentary, fiction and animation. Fifteen youth groups entered short videos ranging from three to ten minutes.

The three local church youth groups from Maryland, Nebraska and Pennsylvania received cash prizes of $1,000, $500 and $250.

The winning entries may be viewed at http://www.insightfilmfest.org/winners.htm.

* First place: First United Methodist Church of Curtis, Neb., for "How Good It Is to Be Good," which explores themes of honesty, drunk driving, vandalism and forgiveness. * Second place: New Hope United Methodist Church of Brunswick, Md., for "The Merge," which depicts in Claymation a real-life church merger. * Third place: Elam United Methodist Church of Glen Mills, Pa., for "Inked," which examines what happens when a teen rebels against her father and gets a tattoo.

"Next year, we will be focusing on 30-second and 60-second commercials," Clark said.

*This report was adapted from a press release from Jeanette Pinkston, director of media relations for the United Methodist Board of Discipleship.

News media contact: Linda Green, (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.