From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Bishops Offer Hope After Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:49:34 -0500

Title: Lutheran Bishops Offer Hope After Minneapolis Bridge Collapse ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 2, 2007

Lutheran Bishops Offer Hope After Minneapolis Bridge Collapse 07-140-FI

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The bridge of Interstate 35W collapsed Aug. 1, where it crossed the Mississippi River near the center of Minneapolis. The Associated Press reported Aug. 2 the catastrophe killed four people, injured another 79 and left as many as 30 missing. Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Minneapolis Area and Saint Paul (Minn.) Area Synods offered words of condolence and hope.

"When a tragedy of this magnitude occurs in a metropolitan area, people's confidence in the stability of daily life is shaken," said the Rev. Craig E. Johnson, ELCA Minneapolis Area Synod. "But as people of faith, our confidence is centered upon God who rushes to aid all people in their suffering," he said.

Johnson and Rabbi Marcia Zimmerman invited everyone in the Twin Cities Area to an interfaith prayer service at Temple Israel, Minneapolis.

"All such tragedies leave us groping for ways to comprehend the sudden, unexpected loss and to find comfort and consolation," said the Rev. Peter Rogness, bishop, ELCA Saint Paul Area Synod. "Ultimately, comfort and consolation come from Christ's sustaining love and the dimension of his kingdom that overcomes death. Of this much we can be assured," he said.

"At times such as these, Christians find strength and purpose in community. I encourage you to find ways to gather in prayer with others in your faith community -- in your home, in your congregation, in your community," Rogness said.

Rogness invited the public to a prayer vigil at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, Burnsville, Minn., and he announced hours that the sanctuary of Central Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, was open for prayer. -- -- --

The home page of the ELCA Minneapolis Area Synod is at http://www.mpls-synod.org/ and that of the ELCA Saint Paul Area Synod is at http://www.spas-ELCA.org/ on the Web.

Temple Israel's home page is at http://www.templeisrael.com/ on the Web.

The home page of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, Burnsville, is at http://www.princeofpeaceonline.org/ and that of Central Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, is at http://www.centralmpls.org/ on the Web.

For information contact: