From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC NEWS: Korean hostages: Renewed call to prayer

From "WCC Media" <Media@wcc-coe.org>
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:10:06 +0200

World Council of Churches - News Release

Contact: +41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363 media@wcc-coe.org For immediate release - 31/07/2007 12:52:40 PM

KOREAN HOSTAGES IN AFGHANISTAN: RENEWED CALL TO PRAYER

The killing of a second Korean Christian hostage in Afghanistan has led the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK) to make an urgent call for prayer among the "entire ecumenical community around the world [...] that the killings of innocent people may stop and that these hostages may safely return to their families."

?We urge the global community to work for true peace and reconciliation in Afghanistan,? wrote PCK general secretary Rev. Yoon Kil Soo in a letter today. ?We sincerely request the governments of both Afghanistan and the US to lead the negotiations with the Taliban for the sake of the safe return of the hostages.?

?The entire ecumenical community weeps at the senseless loss of life taking place in Afghanistan,? said Rev. Dr. Samuel Kobia, general secretary of the World Council of Churches, in response to the letter. ?We invite our member churches to pray with our brothers and sister in Korea for a peaceful end to this crisis and that the hostages will be freed.?

Kobia also emphasized the need for a speedy and peaceful end to the violence in Afghanistan and for a peaceful resolution to the long standing conflict there.

Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea http://prok.onmam.com ( http://prok.onmam.com/Eng_Con/contents.htm )

WCC call to prayer for Korean hostages in Afghanistan http://www.oikoumene.org/?id=3937

Additional information: Juan Michel, +41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363 media@wcc-coe.org

Sign up for WCC press releases at:

http://onlineservices.wcc-coe.org/pressnames.nsf

The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith, witness and service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship of churches founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 347 Protestant, Orthodox, Anglican and other churches representing more than 560 million Christians in over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the Roman Catholic Church. The WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia, from the Methodist Church in Kenya. Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.

WCC ID: nJoBWU5exi1qWrutF9UPe3zxFO1kvkS1uXQ4WDHV1NjMpf3OQUc2W1yD9KlKiEs