From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Thrivent Financial Employee Dies in Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:01:33 -0500

Title: Thrivent Financial Employee Dies in Minneapolis Bridge Collapse ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 3, 2007

Thrivent Financial Employee Dies in Minneapolis Bridge Collapse 07-141-FI

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Sherry Engebretsen, 60, Shoreview, Minn., died in the Aug. 1 collapse of the Interstate 35W bridge across the Mississippi River near the center of Minneapolis. She was the head of distribution strategies for Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Minneapolis.

Engebretsen was a member of Incarnation Lutheran Church, Shoreview, a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Funeral plans are pending.

The Associated Press reported Aug. 3 the catastrophe killed five people, injured another 79 and left eight missing.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Sherry in this tragic incident," Bruce Nicholson, president and CEO, Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Minneapolis, said in a statement released Aug. 2. "She was a wonderful colleague and co-worker, someone who brought out the best in people and helped make our organization a great place to work. We will miss her greatly," he said.

"On behalf of all of our employees here and across the United States, I want to express our condolences to Sherry's husband, Ron, and their daughters, Jessica and Anne. Our thoughts and prayers are with you," Nicholson said.

Engebretsen began working for Thrivent Financial for Lutherans in 2003 as an independent contractor. The organization hired her later that year as director of product implementation. In October 2006 she became the head of distribution strategies for Thrivent Financial.

According to the statement, Thrivent Financial plans to create a memorial fund in Engebretsen's honor. Details surrounding the fund are being developed. -- -- --

The home page for Thrivent Financial for Lutherans is at http://www.thrivent.com/ and that of Incarnation Lutheran Church is at http://www.incarnationmn.org/ on the Web.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog