From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AJC] Embattled Bangladeshi Journalist Choudhury Visits AJC

From "Ari Gordon" <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Mon, 6 Aug 2007 09:58:20 -0400

Embattled Bangladeshi Journalist Choudhury Visits AJC

August 3, 2007 - New York - Bangladeshi journalist Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury, on a rare visit to the United States, personally thanked the American Jewish Committee for supporting his efforts to combat radical Islam and promote Muslim-Jewish relations.

"I cannot afford to let my country fall into the grips of the radicals," Choudhury declared before a large luncheon at AJC headquarters in New York.

Choudhury, editor of the Weekly Blitz, a major English-language weekly in Bangladesh, has been on trial in Bangladesh for sedition because of his writings on radical Islam and his attempt to visit Israel. His newspaper offices have been bombed, and he has been physically assaulted. If convicted, he could face the death penalty.

"We are in the presence of someone unafraid to stand up in a world which needs more people to follow his example and stand together shoulder to shoulder against the forces of hatred, and incitement, who would divide us in the name of religion, in the name of other ideologies," said AJC Executive Director David A. Harris.

AJC presented its Moral Courage Award to Choudhury, in absentia, in 2006. Dr. Richard Benkin, who accepted the award on behalf of Choudhury at AJC's Annual Meeting, also attended the luncheon.

Choudhury described in detail the ongoing efforts of Islamist groups, funded by Saudi Arabia, to take over Bangladesh. "They are patronizing the culture of jihad," he said. Saudis are investing in every sector, including banks, education, hospitals and "trying to capture Bangladeshi politics," he said.

There are 64,000 madrassas in Bangladesh, 70 percent of them dedicated to Koranic education, said Choudhury.

Additionally, Saudi Arabia has provided $20 million to establish a television station in Bangladesh to "combat secular-Western media."

While most Bangladeshis are moderate, their leadership and educational system have been radicalized, he said.

Choudhury has been actively involved in the reinvigoration of moderate voices in Bangladeshi society and has spoken out against misinformation about Jews and Israel. The Jewish state should be a natural ally of Bangladesh, since it was one of the first nations to recognize Bangladesh's independence in 1971, he said.

"We are in the presence of a real hero," said Irwin Cotler, Choudhury's lawyer and former Canadian Minister of Justice, who also attended the luncheon at AJC.

Choudhury said he looked forward to returning to Bangladesh after the weekend to continue his struggle. "Political asylum is not a solution," he said. "If I don't go back, Bangladeshis will not raise their voices against the radicals."

"We have to win the battle in Bangladesh," said Choudhury. Bangladeshis must declare "no to jihad, no to culture of hate, no to Holocaust denial."

Ari M. Gordon Assistant Director Department of Interreligious Affairs American Jewish Committee 165 E56th St. New York, NY 10022 (212) 891-6768 (212) 751-4000 x266 www.ajc.org www.engagingamerica.org