From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Nurturing those who nurture others

From newsservice <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:47:40 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story available online: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07480.htm

07480 August 6, 2007

Nurturing those who nurture others

National gathering of COMs, CPMs, and seminaries focuses on both practical and spiritual matters

by Jerry Van Marter Presbyterian News Service and Sharon Youngs OGA communications coordinator

SALT LAKE CITY - Nearly 300 members of presbytery committees on ministry (COM), committees on preparation for ministry (CPM), and seminaries gathered here July 26-29 to strengthen the ties among those responsible for nurturing candidates for church vocations.

"We've been working a long time to bring separate parties together in conversation and the work is paying off in big ways," said the Rev. Marcia Clark Myers, director of the office of vocation for the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). Nearly two-thirds of the PC(USA)'s 173 presbyteries, three of the 16 synods and all of the seminaries were represented at gathering under the theme "Rooted in Faith, Thriving in Ministry."

"We are moving away from the 'job' approach for ministers," Myers said. "There is a re-emphasis on discernment, vocation, and call within the PC(USA). It's therefore important to help equip these committees on not just technical aspects of their work, but on their own sense of call to this ministry."

Vicky Curtiss, interim co-pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Corvallis, OR, and a member of the leadership team, agreed.

"As the theme of the conference implied, our ministries cannot thrive unless they are rooted in spiritual practices," Curtiss said. "Committees on preparation for ministry have concern for the spiritual growth of candidates for ministry and discerning with them their calls. But we can't be vessels of living water if our own wells are dry."

Curtiss continued: "Committees on ministry are charged with pastoral oversight, facilitating relationships, and settling difficulties. Both ministries seek to be aligned with the Holy Spirit, which can only happen when we regularly pray and reflect upon the presence and work of God in our lives."

Opportunities for that reflection came through plenary presentations, Bible study, worship, small groups for spiritual practices, and Sabbath time.

Keyonter Eugene Peterson, a retired PC(USA) pastor and author of 34 books, including The Message, the best-selling paraphrasing translation of the Bible, spoke about the church and spiritual maturity as he reflected on Ephesians.

Paul's letter to the Ephesians is about "God's call and our walk," he said. "When they fit, we are growing up in Christ." The relationship between God's call and our walk "becomes increasingly personal and interpersonal. It includes others whom God is calling."

Peterson continued, "American churches are good at birth in Christ, but not competent when it comes to ... that patient, unhurried work of growing up in Christ."

"Some find church the most difficult aspect of growing up," he remarked. "The church we want becomes the enemy of the church we have" when we follow "ecclesiastical market analysts" that lead us to "feast on the euphoria and adrenalin of new birth, but not matters of maturity and holiness."

Frances Taylor Gench, professor of New Testament at Union Theological Seminary and Presbyterian School of Christian Education in Richmond, VA, led participants in Bible study of some of the pastoral epistles, which Gench described as "those little books in the back of the Bible."

"They are small, but they make a lot of noise," she said.

Noting that the writer of 1 John was addressing an internal conflict within the early church, Gench pointed out how readers of the same biblical passage can draw different conclusions, which often leads to conflict.

"We need to stop shaking the Bible at each other and instead open it up and read it," she said. Reminding the participants that "the gift of the Holy Spirit is to the whole community," Gench talked about the importance of taking time to understand the "biblical and theological logic that led your opponent to a different conclusion that is just as grounded as yours."

"All the you's are really y'alls," she said in her southern accent, as she reflected on 1 John.

Time each evening was spent in small groups for spiritual practices "to renew our spirits, deepen our prayer lives, and listen for God's guidance for our ministries," remarked Curtiss, who also served as one of three "weavers" during the event.

Joining her were leadership team members Paul Reiter, executive presbyter for Giddings-Lovejoy Presbytery, and David Henderson, an organizational consultant. The weavers "looked for patterns of connecting threads, turning points, and insights during the conference as a way for us all to reflect on and give thanks for God among us," said Curtiss.

Mary Paik, retiring vice president for student affairs at McCormick Theological, led worship. Among several liturgical elements, Paik read biblical and modern parables, led singing as she played the piano, taught movement prayer from an Asian tradition, and included pre-produced visual/music presentations by her new husband, Dwight Morita, a professional photographer.

The conference also included 39 practical workshops, a seminary fair, and informal networking opportunities.

The program included a workshop especially for Korean Presbyterians. Leader Heahwan Rim, executive presbyter and stated clerk of Hanmi Midwest Presbytery and a member of the leadership team, said the three-and-one-half hour workshop was not long enough. "The gathering was a very meaningful time for us, so we hope to meet again at another time," he said.

Overall, how did the participants feel about the conference?

Judd Shaw, executive presbyter and stated clerk for New Harmony Presbytery, said, "I think these types of gatherings are one of the things that our denomination really does well - it connects the denomination in educational and nurturing ways."

Carol Holland, a two-year CPM member in Santa Fe Presbytery, said "The entire conference has given me many ideas to work on," this sprightly 84-year-old said with great enthusiasm.

"I have an inquirer for whom I am liaison at McCormick Theological Seminary. I am already beginning to explore ways I can be more helpful to him and the seminary," Holland said. "I had always thought the seminary people were too busy to bother with CPMs, but I heard them say loud and clear this weekend that they need to hear from us. I love getting in touch, so that will be a true pleasure."

The conference was a joint effort of the Office of the General Assembly, the General Assembly Council, and the Board of Pensions.