From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Greeted By Host Bishop

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 13:34:51 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 7, 2007

ELCA Assembly Greeted By Host Bishop 07-CWA-004-JI

CHICAGO (ELCA)-- Recalling the monikers and voting practices that have been applied to this city over the years, the bishop of the Metropolitan Chicago Synod, the host of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly, welcomed those attending in brief remarks at the end of the assembly's Aug. 6 opening session.

The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 6-11 at Navy Pier's Festival Hall. About 2,000 people are participating, including 1,071 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial assembly is "Living in God's Amazing Grace: Thanks be to God!"

The Rev. Paul R. Landahl, who leaves office Aug. 31 as bishop of the ELCA Metropolitan Chicago Synod, noted that Frank Sinatra crooned about "that toddlin' town" and that it was politicians -- not meteorological phenomena -- whose speeches gave Chicago its "Windy City" nickname and their supporters contributed to its infamous voting practices.

Landahl, who said he was born and raised in Chicago, also invited assembly attendees to see as much of "our beautiful city" as their time here this week would allow.

He asked them to note parallels between the church body and the synod, whose mission statement is "In Jesus' name, proclaim the gospel, make disciples, [and] do justice.

"My prayer is that God will richly bless our time together as we proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ together," Landahl told those gathered at Festival Hall.

Landahl and the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop, called leaders of local-arrangement committees to the stage and thanked them and other volunteers for their work in preparation for and during this week's assembly, which applauded their efforts.

Hanson noted that he had been reminded of "the enormous amount of planning" on the part of "hundreds of volunteers" since first learning of the need for local volunteers via announcements first made "some time ago" at the Chicago congregation where he is a member. - - -

Information about the 2007 ELCA Churchwide Assembly can be found at http://www.ELCA.org/assembly/ on the Web.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog