From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 7 Aug 2007 18:02:45 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink August 7, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - FORT WORTH: Former diocesan bishop Clarence Pope announces return to Roman Catholic Church * DIOCESAN DIGEST - LOS ANGELES: Congregations ask state Supreme Court to review ruling * DIOCESAN DIGEST - MASSACHUSETTS: Diocese settles lawsuit with former members of Attleboro parish * WORLD REPORT - KENYA: Church leaders urge government not to muzzle media * WORLD REPORT - MIDDLE EAST: Bishops issue communiqué following meeting in Iran * OPINION - Raising the parish profile: effective advertising on a limited budget

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

FORT WORTH: Former diocesan bishop Clarence Pope announces return to Roman Catholic Church http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_88907_ENG_HTM.htm

LOS ANGELES: Congregations ask state Supreme Court to review ruling http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_88870_ENG_HTM.htm

MASSACHUSETTS: Diocese settles lawsuit with former members of Attleboro parish http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_88895_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

KENYA: Church leaders urge government not to muzzle media http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_88868_ENG_HTM.htm

MIDDLE EAST: Bishops issue communiqué following meeting in Iran http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_88855_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

OPINION

Raising a parish's profile: effective advertising on a limited budget

By Tom Downs

[Episcopal Life] We knew what we wanted: a higher profile in the community and a chance to issue a direct invitation to possible new members. But how do you make it happen?

In my parish we made a good start when we set aside 5 percent of our budget for advertising. As our treasurer, a woman with her own business, is wont to say, "I wouldn't be in business six months if we didn't advertise." So we set aside the money.

I have had occasion over the years to make media buys on television, radio and in print, and I've done a few direct mail campaigns. I have some idea what things cost. For us the money we set aside is a good chunk of change, but as advertising budgets go, it won't go very far. So how do you go about making the most of what you can spend?

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_88871_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_80421_ENG_HTM.htm