From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Hears Bible Study Focused on Human Sexuality

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:41:18 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 8, 2007

ELCA Assembly Hears Bible Study Focused on Human Sexuality 07-CWA-017- LL*

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Participants of the 2007 Churchwide Assembly of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) opened the fifth plenary session with a Bible study focusing on the topic of human sexuality through the study of the verses 1 to 10 of the first chapter of Galatians. The Bible study led by the Rev. David L. Tiede, former president of Luther Seminary, St. Paul, and professor, Augsburg College, Minneapolis, on Aug. 8. Augsburg is one of 28 ELCA colleges and universities and Luther is one of eight ELCA seminaries.

The assembly, the chief legislative authority of the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 6-11 at Navy Pier's Festival Hall. About 2,000 people are participating, including 1,071 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial assembly is "Living in God's Amazing Grace: Thanks be to God!"

Introducing Tiede, Connie D. Thomas of Chicago, a member of the ELCA Task Force for ELCA Studies on Sexuality, told the assembly that they were blessed to have Tiede as a leader as they prepare to discuss sexuality.

Tiede asked the assembly to consider, "how in heaven's name are we as a church going to develop and adopt a 'social statement' on sexuality in the midst of disputes about what is moral or just? If it's all just sexual politics, as the media suspect, our congregations and our families are split."

"Sex is harder to discuss than money. So what if your politics are liberal or conservative?" asked Tiede.

Tiede told the Curchwide Assembly that the Apostle Paul's letter to Galatia is a risky, yet powerful testimony to Christians. "Paul writes, 'for you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters, only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for self-indulgence, but through love become slaves to one another,'" Tiede said.

"Christian freedom is not just freedom from, but freedom for ... freedom to be a blessing to your neighbors," he said. "Even our sexuality is a way to make the world a more trustworthy place."

---

Information about the 2007 ELCA Churchwide Assembly can be found at http://www.ELCA.org/assembly/ on the Web.

* Lauren A. Lamb is a senior public relations and speech communication major at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. This summer she is an intern with the ELCA News Service.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog