From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Reminded by Keynote Speaker to Pay Attention to Women

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:45:29 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 8, 2007

ELCA Assembly Reminded by Keynote Speaker to Pay Attention to Women 07-CWA-019-KK

CHICAGO (ELCA) - Dr. Musimbi Kanyoro, general secretary of the World Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA),brought the keynote address to the 2007 Churchwide Assembly. Celebrating in the midst of challenge, using our knowledge to be prophetic and committing to change, were among her themes.

The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 6-11 at Navy Pier's Festival Hall. About 2,000 people are participating, including 1,071 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial assembly is "Living in God's Amazing Grace: Thanks be to God!"

"For the last 20 years, my ministry has been with women. I often say I am licensed to speak for women," Kanyoro said. Prior to assuming her position at the World YWCA in 1998, Kanyoro was the executive secretary for Women in the Church and Society of the Lutheran World Federation, Geneva. A native of Kenya and linguist by training, Kanyoro received the Luther Institute's 2000 Wittenberg Award for her service to church and society around the world.

In Africa a gathering such as the 2007 Churchwide Assembly would be "full of dancing in the aisles," observed Kanyoro. "To be joyful in spite of and despite everything around us is a sign of acknowledging the grace of God that is present with us all of the time."

"I remember many years that we stood outside and knocked on our [church doors] so that we would be present and included in the ordained ministries of our churches," Kanyoro noted of women's experience in the church. "I know that the saints both living and dead who took the risk and brought the changes we celebrate today now ask more of us. They ask us to listen even more attentively to who is asking to be included."

Christians are "connected through creation and this image of God that we all carry," she said. Kanyoro cited diverse areas of life where this image is seen, such as "in the princess and the prostitute" and in poor countries and among the affluent. Christians have knowledge of our ties to one another, but "our problem seems rather in the choices that we make with our knowledge," she said. Barriers of history and culture can keep us from using our knowledge prophetically, but "our God does not permit us to make peace with oppression, either our own or the oppression of others," she asserted.

Kanyoro used the word "advocate" to highlight a response to what we know about the lives of women. "This is not for women themselves. What happens is for total societies," she said. In her anagram, "a" is for "assessing" the situation for women and girls; "d" is for "detailing" the challenges women experience; "v" is for "vocalizing" the real stories of women "without shame and without apology;" "o" is for "opposing bad, ill-conceived policies or problems that do not bring community solutions;" "c" is for "collaborating" on positive solutions; "a" is for "advancing" equality for women; "t" is for "talking" with elected leaders about programs and budgeting; and "e" is for "engaging" the public about issues of justice for women.

The World YWCA participated in the 2007 International Women's Summit on Women and HIV and AIDS that resulted in a "Pledge to Commitment" which Kanyoro highlighted as exemplar of making a commitment to justice for women. The assembly read aloud the pledge detailing action steps to be taken in an individual life, home, workplace, friendships and country.

There are many challenges to women in today's world: sexual abuse, poverty and the AIDS pandemic were among examples Kanyoro cited. "Trafficking in girls and women has become a lucrative trade comparable to trade in drugs," she noted. "Paying attention to women is still a justice [issue] . . . Thanks be to God that the ELCA continues to value justice for women." - - -

Information about the 2007 ELCA Churchwide Assembly can be found at http://www.ELCA.org/assembly/ on the Web.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog