From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Hears About, Recommits To Lutheran Anti-Hunger Efforts

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:50:42 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 9, 2007

ELCA Assembly Hears About, Recommits To Lutheran Anti-Hunger Efforts 07-CWA-022-AL

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Following reports from the World Hunger Program of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and Lutheran World Relief (LWR) on Aug. 9, the 2007 ELCA Churchwide Assembly committed denomination members and congregations to renewed efforts to reach and surpass a goal of $25 million in annual giving to the ELCA World Hunger Appeal.

The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 6-11 at Navy Pier's Festival Hall. About 2,000 people are participating, including 1,068 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial assembly is "Living in God's Amazing Grace: Thanks be to God!"

"Through relief, development, education and advocacy, the ELCA World Hunger Appeal combats the root causes of poverty," said Nancy Arnison, director, ELCA World Hunger Program. "This past year, gifts to ELCA World Hunger totaled over $20 million -- a milestone -- a powerful commitment to making a difference in the lives of our neighbors."

By a vote of 984 to 5, the assembly committed the church to "reach and surpass, as soon as possible, the goal of $25 million in annual giving by individuals and congregations" to the ELCA World Hunger Appeal.

The assembly also heard from the Rev. John Nunes, president of LWR, an international relief, development and advocacy ministry of both the ELCA and Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS), which receives funds from the ELCA World Hunger Program. "We thank you for making this ministry possible, and we invite you to keep walking with us as we work to create a world in which each person and every generation lives in justice, dignity, and peace," said Nunes.

---

Information about the 2007 ELCA Churchwide Assembly can be found at http://www.ELCA.org/assembly/ on the Web.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog