From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Sends Memorials on Same-Sex Blessings to Task Force

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:57:58 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 9, 2007

ELCA Assembly Sends Memorials on Same-Sex Blessings to Task Force 07-CWA-026-KK

CHICAGO (ELCA)-- The 2007 Churchwide Assembly of the ELCA voted to refer memorials on the blessing of same-sex relationships to the Task Force for ELCA Studies on Sexuality. The Task Force is engaged in developing a social statement on human sexuality to be presented to the 2009 Churchwide Assembly.

The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 6-11 at Navy Pier's Festival Hall. About 2,000 people are participating, including 1,068 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial assembly is "Living in God's Amazing Grace: Thanks be to God!"

The Rev. Carol S. Hendrix, bishop, ELCA Lower Susquehanna Synod, spoke as a member of the Task Force saying, "I ask this assembly, all of you, to pray with and for us, to do the study, to send in your responses, so that we might hear from you as one component for our listening as we engage in the process of discernment and deliberation."

Another voting member expressed preference to pursue action on the blessing of same-sex relationships at the current assembly. The Rev. Nancy Nord Bence, ELCA Minneapolis Area Synod, contrasted the traditional image of a dove to represent the Holy Spirit with that of a rabbit. "The rabbit is bounding through the ELCA and through many of our Christian communities right now on the subject of full inclusion of gays and lesbians in the church . . . I would really encourage us to put on our running shoes and . . . see where it is leading us."

The Rev. Leonard H. Bolick, bishop, ELCA North Carolina Synod, said, "I don't believe that a yes or no at this Assembly will be helpful to us when so many in our church are expecting a social statement of some sort in 2009. That social statement, it seems to me, would be very helpful in guiding conversation, in explaining what we have done, a spring board for our deliberations."

Related to this, the assembly began discussion of standards for rostered leaders. The resolution before the assembly calls for referral of discussion to the Task Force. A substitute resolution was introduced Aug. 9 calling for action to change policy instead of referral. A motion to continue debate beyond adopted agenda time restrictions was not adopted, and discussion was discontinued for the day. - - -

Information about the 2007 ELCA Churchwide Assembly can be found at http://www.ELCA.org/assembly/ on the Web.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog