From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Adopts Education Social Statement

From "News News" <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:37:55 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 10, 2007

ELCA Assembly Adopts Education Social Statement 07-CWA-035-AL

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The 2007 Churchwide Assembly of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) adopted, by a vote of 949 to 35, a social statement on education addressing issues of children's faith formation, quality of U.S. public schools, and support for Lutheran schools and campus ministries Aug. 10.

The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 6-11 at Navy Pier's Festival Hall. About 2,000 people are participating, including 1,069 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial assembly is "Living in God's Amazing Grace: Thanks be to God!"

"Lutherans are called to provide excellent education in the faith, in the home, and in the family. This statement renews that call," said Paul J. Dovre, co-chair of the task force who developed the statement. "Lutherans are called to support Lutheran schools, public schools, Lutheran universities, public universities, as major avenues of opportunities for young people and as major forums in which we can serve and achieve the common good."

The education social statement, titled "Our Calling in Education," and its accompanying implementation actions, do the following:

+ Affirms the church's calling to communicate the faith to children and youth at home and in the congregation;

+ Commits the church to advocate for equitable access to excellent education for all young people;

+ Commits the church to sustain and strengthen its early childhood education centers, schools, colleges and universities, and seminaries; and

+ Supports public colleges and universities and affirms the presence of ELCA campus ministries on those campuses.

"This social statement helps us embrace our church as a teaching and learning church, challenges us to educate all generations in the faith, and live out our baptismal callings," said Christi Lines, task force co-chair.

Several amendments were made to the proposed document before it was adopted by the assembly, including the addition of language throughout the statement to specifically address the needs of American Indian, Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian communities and students with disabilities.

Social statements are major documents adopted by the ELCA Churchwide Assembly that address significant social issues. "Our Calling in Education" is the ninth social statement to be adopted by the ELCA. Social statements on sexuality and genetics are currently in development and are expected to come before the 2009 and 2011 churchwide assemblies, respectively.

---

Information about the 2007 ELCA Churchwide Assembly can be found at http://www.ELCA.org/assembly/ on the Web.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news