From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:48:33 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink August 15, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - SOUTHERN OHIO: Faith and football make full fall weekends * WORLD REPORT - AUSTRALIA: Sydney's bishops, archbishop postpone response to Lambeth 2008 invitations * WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Archbishop of York urges politicians to slow down and read this summer * WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND/MIDDLE EAST: Middleton Bishop Michael Lewis to move to Cyprus and the Gulf * WORLD REPORT - INDIA: Prime Minister delivers same message as churches on poverty * SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - Twelfth Sunday After Pentecost (Proper 15) - Year C [RCL]

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

SOUTHERN OHIO: Faith and football make full fall weekends http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_89078_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

AUSTRALIA: Sydney's bishops, archbishop postpone response to Lambeth 2008 invitations http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_89077_ENG_HTM.htm

ENGLAND: Archbishop of York urges politicians to slow down and read this summer http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_89075_ENG_HTM.htm

ENGLAND/MIDDLE EAST: Middleton Bishop Michael Lewis to move to Cyprus and the Gulf http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_89072_ENG_HTM.htm

INDIA: Prime Minister delivers same message as churches on poverty http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_89074_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

SPIRITUAL REFLECTION

Twelfth Sunday After Pentecost (Proper 15) - Year C [RCL] Jeremiah 23:23-29 or Isaiah 5:1-7; Psalm 80: 1-2, 8-19 or 82; Hebrews 11:29-12:2; Luke 12: 49-56

By Kirk Alan Kubicek

[Sermons That Work] As it says in today's reading from Jeremiah: "Is not my word like fire, says the Lord, and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?" Or as it says in the Sanhedrin: "As the hammer splits the rock into many splinters, so will a scriptural verse yield many meanings." Perhaps this Talmudic interpretation of Jeremiah gives us some purchase on Jesus saying, "I came to bring fire upon the earth. ... Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division."

We might naturally wonder just what these statements from Jeremiah and Luke have to do with one another. We read them out loud and conclude, "The Word of the Lord," after which we dutifully respond, "Thanks be to God."

Full reflection: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_89021_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm