From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] ELCA action causes `concern` in LCMS

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:58:14 -0500

8.16.2007 LCMS News

THE LUTHERAN CHURCH Missouri Synod

August 16, 2007 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 57

Kieschnick writes ELCA action 'troubles me greatly,' causes 'serious concern' in LCMS

In an Aug. 13 memo to LCMS leaders, Synod President Gerald B. Kieschnick wrote that news of an action of the 2007 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly just two days earlier "troubles me greatly and is causing serious concern and consternation among the members and leaders of the ... LCMS."

Kieschnick's reference was to the assembly's Aug. 11 adoption of a resolution -- by a vote of 538 to 431 -- that "prays, urges, and encourages [ELCA geographical] synods, synodical bishops, and the presiding bishop to refrain from or demonstrate restraint in disciplining those rostered leaders in a mutual, chaste, and faithful committed same-gender relationship who have been called and rostered in this church."

"We in the LCMS hold firmly to the conviction that, according to the Holy Bible, homosexual behavior is 'intrinsically sinful,' " Kieschnick wrote in the memo. "We are deeply disappointed that the ELCA, by its decision, has failed to act in keeping with the historic and universal understanding of the Christian church regarding what Holy Scripture teaches about homosexual behavior as contrary to God's will and about the biblical qualifications for holding the pastoral office."

On Friday, Aug. 10, Kieschnick conveyed greetings to the ELCA churchwide assembly on behalf of the Synod, saying that "every initiative and every directive of the church must be guided and empowered by the Word of God."

The assembly, meeting in the convention facilities at Chicago's Navy Pier, included some 1,069 voting members. ELCA churchwide assemblies are held every two years.

For the full text of Kieschnick's Aug. 13 memo, click on the following link: Statement regarding 2007 ELCA Churchwide Assembly Action <http://www.lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=12394> .

If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release, contact Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org <mailto:joe.isenhower@lcms.org> or (314) 996-1231, or Paula Schlueter Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org <mailto:paula.ross@lcms.org> or (314) 996-1230.

This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided by:

Board for Communication Services, Division of News and Information

Contact Editor

<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editori d =6>

This LCMS e-News message comes from a "Send Only" mailbox that does not recognize replies. To reply to this message, please click on "Contact Editor" above.

_____